Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No more booby for my 2 year old! My husband is brilliant!

Default No more booby for my 2 year old! My husband is brilliant!

My little one turned 2 the end of November and I think nursing is finally over. Some of my sweetest memories of him nursing have been when he was a toddler for me the sweetest times . Nursing him to sleep has been very convenient for me but the day frequent random nursings was getting a little old along with the night time attached to my boob. So Friday I was done and my husband said "why don't you put band-aids on your boobs", I said "what a great idea!" So I did just that and my little one has handled it pretty darn good. He saw them and said oouchie and sees them now and again and says oochie and thats it. Night time has been hard since I think he is getting is last molars in. I think we are off to a wonderful start I just had to share this with anyone who really has had it with nursing their toddler. I thought maybe he would eventually just stop but if I continued letting him do it whenever who knows how long he would do it until. I am sad he won't get the nutrition but I think its time and honestly I feel like a new Mommy! So good luck to you all maybe this may help you, a great simple and harmless way to wean. Hope it works for you if you try it! We are going on night 4 and day 5 of absolutely no booby!

Default Re: No more booby for my 2 year old! My husband is brilliant

I will have to remember this one in case I need to try it in the future...Thanks for sharing
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Just to clarify that La Leche League recommends gradual weaning

https://www.llli.org/faq/weanhowto.html

This is such a fantastic idea! It totally is working with my 2 y/o, and it hasn't even been traumatic for him! I think it really helped him understand, because he gets what a "boo boo" is. When I had tried to tell him the milk was "all gone," he would just argue with me and tell me that it isn't all gone. But the band aids have worked (at least for the past two days)!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Wow, this is such a great idea! I will probably try it when our time comes!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Yikes, I wouldn't lie about an injury to take nursing away cold turkey, but to each their own.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

DD just started weaning as of Saturday, and we did cold turkey per the Pedi's recommendation. And, here is why (I don't want to start a debate, just want to share info): For many toddlers, it is easier to go cold turkey than to say they can have it sometimes and not others--consistency is easier for many of them to understand. Also, the typical suggestion of cutting out one nursing at a time does not necessarily work for many of us that have random nursers that frequently nurse at atypical times and different number of times on any given day. The third suggestion was to cut back the length of time of each nursing session. For DD this would only upset her more because she would know there was more and she would want it. Just wanted to share. And I should've tried the Band-Aid thing. She rarely asks any more and understands what I mean when I tell her it's 'all gone' and she hasn't been too upset about it the last day or two, but I think the Band-Aid thing would've been a lot easier for her.

how did you handle night wakings? I'm curious since I want to start night weaning but i'm not sure how to do it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*asemenau View Post
    how did you handle night wakings? I'm curious since I want to start night weaning but i'm not sure how to do it, thanks!
    This is a method that many of the moms here have used. It worked for me, though I didn't follow his timeline. It took us about a month to get totally night weaned and it was relatively gentle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous