Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Milk Today???

Unhappy No Milk Today???

Please help me....

After a world of problems with my LO she is finally getting a good latch and we are doing well. However, today I think I have absolutely no milk. Every time I put her to the breast (which are still very soft like they are not refilling) she sucks for a few minutes ~ 5min at most and then begins to scream with my breast still in her mouth. She then stops screaming and licks like it is a ice cream cone for abut 1 minute then suckles 2 or 3 times then bites as hard as she can (she is only 7 weeks so no teeth). I give in after trying both breast and lots of screaming on her end and give her a bottle of EBM and tried to pump. When I pump I only got 1/2 oz from each breast. This is a huge contrast to last night when I nursed then pumped 4 ounces after feeding at 3am, nursed at 6am, nursed then pumped another 3 oz pumped per breast at 8:30am. I generally get more at night (I do not know what) but I usually can get 2 oz per breast after feeding during the day.

I have a respiratory infection (LO did not get it thank goodness) and my doc prescribed Cephalexin 500mg 3 times per day (L1 - safe for baby) and OTC cough meds Delsyum (which has only Dextromethorphan in it - L1 safe for baby). I was told that both are also safe for my milk supply. I started taking the meds on 11/15 (5.5 days ago). Is it the meds that are killing my milk supply and why only in the day time (or will I not have milk tonight either)?

I am not sure what to do. This all falls on top of my husband being out of town for 2 days and my little one has just decided she will not sleep at much today. She is waiting until she is beyond exhausted and screaming/crying but just keeps fighting it and wantes to stay awake. I just keep walking her around and trying different things to calm her down and make her sleep. Right now we are walking with a laptop so I can write to you all for your advice. I think a nice big warm bath will help her but I am too exhausted myself to take her near water and a sink bath just makes her more mad som I do not want to try that.

Please help with any advice you have...I am just a mess right now... I really do not want to loose the ability to nurse her after all we have been through.
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; November 20th, 2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add info
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: No Milk Today???

Congrats on your baby. It is perfectly normal for your breast not to feel engorged or soft or like there is nothing in them after a few weeks.
    As far as the other issue, have you tried possiably a diffrent position? My only experiance with my daughter and this was totally related to one of her medical problems, so I hope someone else can chime in on the latching, licking (that has to be cute when she does that), etc.....
    When I pumped at night I would always get out more than during the day, I just figured that was normal.
    Good Luck!!!!

7 weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt. They just want to eat more and she might be fealing your stress with your hubby being gone.
    How many wet diapars has she had today? Start counting if your not already thats the way to tell if she is getting the milk she needs.
    5-6 realy wets. With no supliments of formula.
    Pumping not a good way to tell how much milk that your making as baby is much beter at getting out milk then a pump.
    Can you take the baby to bed and just relax and nurse for the next 24 hours, just rest and only get up to eat and pee...you'll feal much beter.
    Oh and don't be afraid to call your local lll leader she can help..
    andrea

Smile Re: No Milk Today???

Marcie and Andrea,

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I was freaking out a bit too much earlier. The sun has set and my milk is back (do I have vampire breast - afraid of the sun? ).

I just nursed my little girl and she seemed to be full after feeding this time so I am feeling much better. This is the first feeding that has made her happy today. She is starting to drift off to sleep and is not fighting it for the first time today - I think because she fed well and is now relaxed. She has been peeing like normal - every 2 hours but she has not pooped as much. She generally poops at every feeding and this time it has been at every other feeding. She has eaten from a bottle today when she did not get enough from my breast but it was EBM and not formula so I would think her number of dirty diapers would be the same. Maybe this too is related to stress. Are stress hormones expressed into our milk? As soon as she gets deep enough into sleep that I can move her into a sling I am going to eat something and then take your advice and just take her to bed and rest.

I hope it is just a growth spurt like you said. Could this explain comfort nursing? Yesterday she comfort nursed all day. It was much like today but she was happy on the breast and it appeared like she was getting milk all day long. Whereas today she was unhappy at the breast (fighting, grunting, groaning, biting ,kicking, etc.) and I never saw any milk in the corners of her mouth.

I hope I can stop worrying about tomorrow and if my milk will disappear again during the day so I can go to sleep. Maybe I can find something dull like Golf on TV to help me sleep!

Thanks again for your encouragement and support. I don;t know what I would do without help and advice from this board.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I don't think stress hormones are released into your milk, but I'm sure your little one can pick up on your emotions.

As far as her poopy diapers, sometime soon she will switch from having a bm after every or every other feeding to once a day or possibly once every few days.

Here's a link to look up the compatability of medications and breastfeeding:
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...s;108/3/776/T6

I agree with the pp's that it sounds like a growth spurt. Keep putting her to the breast as often as possible, and you'll increase your milk production in the next few days.

Stress can definitely make your supply go down! Try not to worry.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Stress can definitely make your supply go down!
    Actually this is a myth Stress does not reduce supply or inhibit let-down.

Certainly a baby can sense when it's mother is stressed, and this may lead to a fussy baby who has trouble getting settled enough to latch on and eat. And if mom is over-anxious and baby won't eat, then she might be tempted to supplement.

OP, what you're describing sounds like a growth spurt. She's probably getting milk and just trying to help your supply keep up with her changing needs. Many mothers notice that they have more milk at night because prolactin levels are highest at night. Just ride with it for a few days, camp out on the couch and let her nurse. It'll settle down again soon!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thumbs up Re: No Milk Today???

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the support and advice. She is doing the same thing today but is getting a little more sleep. I think I am making milk but she is just non-stop hungry. I'm sure you are all correct and it is just a growth spurt. It is amazing how scary the little things can be to a new mom. I guess I will look back one day and think it was goofy to worry and cry so much.
    Thanks for all the support...