Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what is the best way to store small amounts of breast milk?

Default what is the best way to store small amounts of breast milk?

dear all,
    folks have been suggesting giving my daughter's caregiver 2 oz increments for feeding her, since my LO eats frequently right now. All the storage containers I see/have are much larger...any absolute favourites that can be given to the caregiver? disposable ones, or reusable ones?

Default Re: what is the best way to store small amounts of breast mi

Do you have enough bottles to just send 2 oz. portions in each? I have 5 oz. bottles, but have never put more than 2.5 oz in them.

Medela makes 2.7 oz storage containers that are compatible with their pumps and nipples. When I go back to work, I plan on using those for 1 oz "toppers," and leaving 2 to 2.5 oz "meals" in the regular 5 oz. bottles.

As far as frozen storage, I use breastmilk storage bags, and never freeze portions larger than 2.5 oz in them. Mostly I freeze in 1 oz. increments, because I figure if my caregiver ever does feel obligated to use "emergency" milk, she's less likely to over feed when she has to thaw one ounce at a time.

I agree with using breastmilk storage bags to freeze small portions.

thank you.

lay them flat in the freezer , then you can store them in a gift bag. here is a video on it, even though it bothers me that the baby is on the counter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAK-sC424Kk

That's a really good idea, I like that. I agree the baby on the counter is disturbing...looks like it's just gonna bounce right off!

ok, totally unrealted to breastmilk but i have to share this old photo of a mom boiling diapers, check out the baby on the table..

boiling diapers.jpg

Sleep deprivation-induced decision making at its finest, lol.

It almost depends on how soon you use it. If you(new mom) are planning to use it with in a day its better to use refrigerating. Keep in mind that fresh milk is best. If you have stored milk at room temperature and are going to miss a breastfeeding session with your baby, give the milk stored at room temperature first. If you are planning to use your milk within 8 days, you can keep it in the fridge. Orelse plan to freeze it in the coldest part of the freezer. Every new mom has to keep in mind that you need to avoid storing your milk in the door.

Check this here about how to store breast milk http://www.momjunction.com/articles/...-baby_0022563/