Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flying without baby

Default Flying without baby

I am preparing for a work trip without my baby.

I have read all of the "tips" and tsa rules and I am feeling very stressed. I have plenty of milk at home for 4 month old baby to drink while I am gone, so that is a non-issue. I will be gone for 2 days.

I will need to pump to replace the stash he drinks and bring the milk home with me. I need to figure out the logistics of transporting the milk. I have a hydroflask insulated water bottle that is extremely good at keeping things cold over long periods of time. Would it be feasible to store the refrigerated/chilled milk in a container like this with reusable plastic ice cubes?

It seems easy in theory, I need to find out the real life logistics of doing it this way rather than lugging around a cooler and ice packs. I also want to try to be as discrete as possible because (as much as I really don't care) but breastmilk grosses my boss out and she will be traveling with me.

I have a spectra 2 double electric breast pump, so I'd need an outlet to use it, which should be fine. Would it be easier/better to buy a handheld pump and use that for the trip instead?
    Last edited by @llli*kevins-mom; February 8th, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
    Jack, my nursling (Oct 2015) Kevin, my preschooler (Mar 2012)

Default Re: Flying without baby

I can't offer any insight on the flask idea, but it seems to me that it would be a good idea to take your spectra on the trip. If you don't generally use a handheld pump, you don't know if it will work for you. Wouldn't it stink to be on the trip and suddenly discover that you can't get much milk with the handheld pump? Or to end up engorged and in discomfort because the handheld won't do the job?

I agree about the spectra. Take the pump that you know works, PLUS maybe have a back up plan like hand expression or a cheap manual pump just in case.

My only thought about the flask is that it is not something one would typically transport breastmilk in and that might cause issues at security. IIRC, personal water bottles are not allowed past security (unless they are empty.)

OK thanks! I'll probably end up pumping into bags. Yesterday this seemed like so much of a bigger deal than it will actually be! LOL
    Jack, my nursling (Oct 2015) Kevin, my preschooler (Mar 2012)