Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad toddler latch

Default Bad toddler latch

DS1 is 2.5 years old, and still nursing. DS2 was born 3.5 weeks ago, and DS1 is thrilled that mommy's milk is back. Unfortunately, he's gotten very lackadaisical about his latch -- he frequently only has the nipple in his mouth, which feels very yucky. I pop him off and remind him he needs a big mouthful of boob, and he'll relatch appropriately, but then quickly slides down to just nipple again.

Any tips on how to get DS1 to latch properly? Or am I already doing it?

TIA!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Bad toddler latch

You are already doing it, but you have to KEEP doing it. He's two, right? Don't you usually have to say something 100 times?
    When I tandem nursed my oldest and his younger brother, it felt so weird at first when my three year old nursed. It was not just the latch, it was the size of his mouth, the strength of the suckling. For me it helped to figure out what would make it clear to him what I wanted. I would say "big mouth-and keep it big!" When he started that closing up thing again, I would say "remember! big mouth" and open my mouth wide. I might have said it 10 times a session. If the feeling was too strong, I figured out if I said 'go slow' that helped him do what I wanted.

I also found that while I could nurse them simultaneously, I usualy preferred times when it was just one or the other. But it was hard getting my older son to take turns. My IBCLC, who looks like-and is-a sweet grandmother, carefully explained to my son that the baby was magic, and if he let the baby nurse first, then when he nursed, it would be a chocolate milkshake! Well maybe it helped that he had had maybe two milk shakes in his life at the point, but he totally bought it, waited patiently for his turn, and smiled and said 'yummy milkshake' when he nursed.

I don't have a problem with suction, it's just the slippage that's an issue. Always has been, now I think about it. Ah well. Broken record time, I guess!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Hello, we have that too. I too tried doing "open wide" over and over again, but the times that it did work he'd pull away - still keeping attached to me and then re-settle back in the original position. I think my nipples have just got used to it. I'm sure they've taken so much misuse it will be a miracle if no2 can get them to work at all!