Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorment/block feeding issue

Default Engorment/block feeding issue

My baby is 7 weeks tomorrow and we are still struggling with breast feeding. She went through a growth spurt earlier this week ad my milk supply got horrible. I started becoming engorged all the time and leaking through the night again, not mention she was getting horribly fussy from too much foremilk, and has been having issue with pooping. So I went ahead and pumped it all off one morning and block fed for 2 days. By the evenings she was nursing forever, over an hour sometimes and would get frustrated so I would have to offer a second breast so apparently it worked too well. It was nice to see her latched on how shes suppose for the first time since my breasts weren't so full. Then the third day I went ahead an just did one breast a feeding again and by day four I'm extremely engorged again and she's doing horrible with her feedings (I just can't win). I don't pump because I'm so scared of oversupply but honestly it's getting old not going anywhere longer than 1.5 hours. I'm usually the most engorged at night, she eats at 9, is asleep by 10 and up to eat at 2:30, 5, and 6:30-7(which is frustrating she won't sleep longer but she gets very frustrated with the 5 am feeding and quits eating). Any advice on how I can fix my engorgment? I use cool compresses and take her off for my let down( which is between .5-1 oz) I just wish I could finally enjoy breastfeeding and not dread it

Default Re: Engorment/block feeding issue

I found that oversupply was a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" kind of a problem. I would block feed for a while, think I had everything under control- and then all of a sudden, the oversupply would come roaring back! I agree that it gets old. But I think you should take a lot of comfort in the fact that 2 days of block feeding was enough to get your supply way down. If 2 days was allit took, then you're definitely able to respond to block feeding and i don't think you're going to have a problem forever. What if you went back to block feeding for some of the day, only offering the second breast if baby seemed to need it? Another thing I discovered about block feeding is that sometimes you need to block feed only for certain parts of the day, and will need to use both breasts during other parts.

If you have to go somewhere for longer than 90 minutes, why not take the baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Engorment/block feeding issue

Alright thanks so much for your insight I really appreciate it! It has been really helpful.. Also, I have to go back to work in three weeks and will need to start reintroducing a bottle, when do you recommend I do that? And when should I pump? Should I pump at a feeding time and give her a bottle instead of the breast so I don't interfere more with my supply rather than pumping after a feeding? Should I do it in the morning since That's when milk supply's the highest and I'm already overly engorged and she struggled nursing then anyways? Then should I pump both and just use the extra to build my supply?
    Last edited by @llli*cmom311; January 26th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.