Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clogged milk duct on nipple

Thumbs down clogged milk duct on nipple

OUCH!! I have a clogged duct, first one in a year of breastfeeding.. and it's on my nipple! From what I've read they are more commonly not in this area? I've been exclusivey pumping for about 6 months now so nursing is not an option. I've been doing warm compresses, massage and pumping.. I can't really tell that it has got any better, it's been about 24 hrs. Is there anything else that I should/ can be doing to help get rid of it quickly? It's so painful and I've got so much to do to get ready for my sons first birthday party in 4 days! ahhh!

Default Re: clogged milk duct on nipple

it is right on the side of my nipple, so it's hard to use the pump effectively

Could this be a milk blister? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Breast compressions in the area and "above" the area (closer to the body from where the area is blocked) can help. Doing this in the shower is sometimes helpful. Have you tried hand expression? Here's a video not related to removing a blocked duct but shows how to do hand expression: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

This sometimes happens when you make a change to your regular routine (pumping/nursing). If that's the case, you may consider making the change more gradual.

It could be that? I'm not sure.. it doesn't really look like the picture. It doesn't have a white head to it. I have been doing some hand expression.