Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Is my baby gaining sufficient weight?

Default Help - Is my baby gaining sufficient weight?

My LO will be 6 months old on the 16th, and has been EFB'd since birth. She weighed 7.9 lbs at birth. We rented a very precise scale from the pharmacy when we brought her home from the hospital, and weighed her every week for three months, more for fun than out of concern because she was gaining fine. At the dr.'s on Dec 19th, she weighed 14 lbs. Today we weighed her at home and she was only 14.7! I'm not sure but I feel like she should weigh more - aren't babies supposed to be double their birth weight at 6 months? And shouldn't she have gained more than .7 lb in almost a month? She feeds approx. every two hours during the day, (I'm at home with her for a year), was sleeping 8pm-2/3am the first stretch of the night until New Years Eve when things radically changed. She has been waking every two hours like clockwork after 11-midnight. It's been REALLY hard getting up so many times a night, but I figured it was a growth spurt, albeit a long one since it's been two weeks and is still up every two hours. I don't think it's possible to nurse her more often - should we start solids asap? Am I losing my supply? I don't pump so I don't know how many ounces she gets with each feed. I know that she's done in five minutes and doesn't seem to want more even if I try to get her to keep nursing. I know formula is more caloric - should I supplement? I was planning to bf until a year but I'm afraid her growth is slowing down!
    Any advice is much appreciated!

Default Re: Help - Is my baby gaining sufficient weight?

It sounds like your baby is doing well, baby is gaining, I would only be concerned if baby lost weight. If you're worried about supply, don't supplement, nursing more helps produce more, supply=demand. If you want to start solids, 6 months can be a good time. They're just for fun the first year.

I think I actually nurse her more than she wants. I usually offer it every two hours, whether she is showing hunger signs or not. I've been a bit confused about her hunger cues since she started sucking her thumb. She sucks it and is quiet and relaxed even when it's been three hours and I know she should be hungry...

Hmmm... want my honest advice? Put the scale away and stop worrying. There are a few different ways to answer your question and none are alarming.

Two different scales will often give two different readings, no matter the precision. Discrepancies are common and it's best to weight baby on the same scale at the doc's office when you visit. No need to compare with a scale at home.

It's very common for EBF babies to slow their weight gain. What matters more than the actual gain is where your kid falls on her very own growth curve. So again, no need to worry or think about it until your at the doc's office.

More than pounds and ounces, you can judge if a baby is getting enough by poops and wet diapers and milestones? 5-6 wet diapers a day? Does baby seem content? Meeting those milestones? If so, then I'm sure she's fine!

Sounds like you're doing a great job with nursing. I also offer to my 9 month old every 2 hours. She's yet to say no even if she's only interested in nursing for 30 seconds. Keeps my supply up and keeps her happy.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

I agree with PP Is she starting to become mobile or is she learning something new? This might account for the slow down of the weight gain (more calories going out due to movement/milestone) and also the night wakings (need more food to do more fun stuff!!!!) Baby's change their eating and sleeping patterns often when new things are happening for them, so I would just let her eat when she's asking at night It's tiring, I know, but it won't last forever!

My DD didn't double her weight until 9 months I worried too, but eventually I just let it go and realized she was a happy healthy baby with a crazy worried mama!!!! She is 11 months tomorrow and already walking some - shes just a little peanut! She's was 17# 4oz at 9.5 months. She ate every 1.5- 2 hours until she was 10 months old, now she goes every 2.5-4 depending on her nap schedule. She's old enough to get 3 meals + snacks a day in addition to all the milk she's getting but at 6 months solids are STRICTLY for adventure!!!! Milk is your #1 source of nutrition and will help her grow the best. It sounds like you are doing great - we often doubt our supply when babies are eating often and we feel less full, but it's our body's way of adjusting! I would NOT do formula, as it counteracts what you are trying to do, which is supply all the milk your DD needs and you can do it

What Vivsmaman said. There are plenty of babies who don't double birthweight by 6 months. What really matters is whether your baby is happy, healthy, and meeting her developmental milestones. According to this chart for breastfed babies: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif your LO is still nicely on the chart. She's slipped some percentiles since birth but that's okay- it's very common for a baby to follow one growth trajectory inside the womb and another on the outside. In fact, there's even a name for this phenomenon; it's called catch-up/catch-down growth. A lot of babies also drop percentiles in the 4-6 month window as they become increasingly mobile, devoting more calories to action and packing fewer on as fat.

I see no need for early solids or formula based on what you've described. First of all, solids typically do not increase the rate of growth. Second, formula is not more caloric than breastmilk; in fact, breastmilk generally contains slightly more calories than formula. The big difference between breastfeeding and formula-feeding is not how many calories the different foods have, but is in the feeding method. It's easy to overfeed a baby using the bottle, since bottles continue to deliver the same rapid flow of milk regardless of whether the baby is sucking for nutrition or comfort, and the baby must swallow or she will choke. Ad finally, you are doing just what you should be doing: you're feeding on demand, even though it means you're up a zillion times a night. That is the best thing you can possibly do for your supply and your baby's intake!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"