Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting Pregnant Advice

Default Getting Pregnant Advice

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on getting pregnant--

I nursed my baby exclusively for 6 months, getting my period back at 7 week post partum. At 6 months we wanted to start trying for baby number 2 as we really want our first two to be close in age. I figured it would be easy since I had my period back from 7 weeks!

I started trying to space out feedings, feed for shorter times, etc. No luck. She's 10 months old and I have now cut her down the past month to just feeding at bedtime, in hopes of getting pregnant and being able to still have milk to then pick it back up while pregnant and supplement less. Maybe I'm one of those few women who have to wean completely before ovulating?

Advice to get pregnant--should I quit even our once/day feeding? Is relactation possible when pregnant? Shouldn't I be ovulating since I've had periods for the last 8 months?

Default Re: Getting Pregnant Advice

Welcome to the forum!

I think it's much too early to worry. You've only been trying for 4 months. And unless you're over 35, a fertility doc wouldn't even want to see you until you'd been trying for 12 months without success.

Since you've had your period back since 7 weeks, you've probably been ovulating since around that point. Once your period is back, breastfeeding is not supressing your fertility. If you want to know for sure if you're ovulating, there are 2 ways for you to do that. The first is the fertility awareness method (FAM), which relies on basal body temperature and observation of fertility signs (cervical mucus, cervical position, openness of the os, etc.) to predict when you're ovulating. Toni Weschler's book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is an excellent source for learning about FAM. The second way to figure out if you're ovulating is ovulation predictor kits. They're a bit easier and a lot less time-consuming to master than FAM, but they are also more expensive and don't work any better than FAM.

I honestly think you have partially weaned your older child for no reason. And while I really don't want to make you feel bad about your decision, I do feel duty-bound to repeat the recommendation that breastmilk should make up a baby's majority source of nutrition until 1 year.

There are a lot of good reasons why natural child spacing typically results in children being born about 2 years apart. The first is that the hormones of pregnancy usually destroy a mom's milk producing ability. If you were to become pregnant right now, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to relactate and nurse your current baby. It's much more likely that you would lose whatever supply you have at this point. The second reason babies are typically spaced every 2 years is that pregnancy is hard on a mom's body. You want to give your body at least a year to recover from the demands of growing a baby. The third reason for the 2 year gap is that taking care of "2 under 2" is HARD. Double the diapers, mess, sleepless nights, etc..

If I were you, I'd unwean the baby, get up to speed on FAM or use some OPKs, and not stress about achieving what you think is your ideal child spacing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with MommaL. Breast feeding can impact fertility, by delaying the return of ovulation / your period. For some people it may delay its return for months, others, not. When your period returned at 7 weeks, breast feeding had no longer had an impact on your fertility. So please return to FULL DEMAND BREAST FEEDNG with your baby. It has nothing to do with your fertility.

A book you might find helpful is Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I agree with everything those two said! However, I have read, and I don't remember where so who knows if it's proven, that breastfeeding can decrease the likelihood of IMPLANTATION of a fertilized egg. So despite ovulating, and perhaps even getting an egg fertilized, breastfeeding can still make it less likely for a pregnancy to result. Anyone else heard this or know where I read it?? It might have been Toni Weschler (sp?)'s book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility."

Not to say that that's the reason you're not pregnant, but when it took longer for me to get pregnant the second time while nursing my daughter, even after having a few regular ovulatory cycles and TTC, I wondered about this.

I know personal experience doesn't constitute a scientific study, but DD2 and DD3 were both conceived while I was BFing. I was working when I conceived DD2. I was a SAHM when I conceived DD3 and nursing DD2 on demand around the clock.

I haven't read that BFing can impact implantation (doesn't mean that it does or doesn't, I just haven't read it ). Either way, the OP has only been trying for 4 months which is still well within the "normal" range of trying to conceive.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and