Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore on nipple

Default Sore on nipple

DS injured my nipple a little. The last time this happened, I ended up with mastitis. It's definitely sore today, but I can't tell if it's just superficially sore (b/c the nipple looks awful) or inside-sore. DS is only nursing at night (a few times) and during naps on weekends. Do you think that his sleep-sucking a couple times a day is enough to keep mastitis away? Or should I make an effort to "force" him to nurse during waking hours?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Sore on nipple

I have a fever of 100.6. Not high, but I have chills. DS said that he doesn't want milk (what the heck?!?! lol). Should I go to the doctor today or see how I feel tomorrow? It figures that the flu is so prominent now too. I don't think it's the flu though.
    ~ Megan

It's night already, so I hope you went in to see the doc already. If not, I hope you'll go in the morning. If you just had fever and chills I'd think that you had the flu, but you have fever, chills, and an injured nipple and a sore breast- and your baby is refusing to nurse, which often happens when mastitis changes the taste of a mom's milk.

Until you get in to be seen, please do your best to empty the breast. If your LO will nurse, let him nurse as much as possible. If he won't, pump or hand-express as much as you can. Or have your partner try to suck the milk out- no joke. And if that's not an option and you happen to be super-flexible, try sucking the milk out yourself- I had to do that once when I had mastitis and the baby was refusing to nurse. (Weird, right? ) Do lots of warm soaks of the entire breast and apply some Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to the broken skin on the nipple- at this point the infection is probably deeper in the breast but the Bacitracin won't hurt and may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I went to the urgent care center after DS fell asleep. It's mastitis and not the flu (so that's a little good? lol). The thing that pissed me off is the urgent care doctor was very anti-BF. He told me not to nurse and to only pump. I told him that the pump is not as efficient as my son. He agreed to disagree. The other thing that pissed me off is they didn't have the prescription in stock, so I have to wait until another pharmacy opens around 10am tomorrow. Grr!

My DS nursed on that side to fall asleep, so that was good. I just tried to pump and only drops oozed out. I honestly don't know if I *have* any more milk than that though. DH said he is absolutely not interested in helping me out, and I can never get any flow when I do it myself. So I guess I'm going to hope that DS wakes up soon???
    ~ Megan

Sorry you had such a crappy experience with the urgent care doc! What a chump. I am sure his one hour-long class on breastfeeding made him a bigger expert on the subject that a mom who has been, you know, actually nursing a baby for over a year.

I hope you start feeling better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"