Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lost here, need guidance/reassure desperately

Default Re: lost here, need guidance/reassure desperately

just to add:

her usual daytime/awake nursing duration is 10 minutes tops (for the past couple of months), before sleeping she nurses for longer, and in the afternoon after work, i try to nurse/nap for i think we both need it! she usually just nurses on one side, and just touches the other side. i try my best to do both, but given her level of distractibility, i'd rather that she nurse uninterrupted while she can.

weight: 17.5 lbs, height 28 inches (i think!)

Default Re: lost here, need guidance/reassure desperately

Hi mama,
    I think you are doing a wonderful job. I'm counting 11 nursing sessions plus two pumping sessions while working. So you're definitely getting your nursing in there. Granted, your first pumping session yesterday was suboptimal. But I would not make too much of a single pumping session. The second one was actually okay - you had just pumped two hours before, and you got 3 ounces out, which is what you would expect. I mean, the milk intake of a 6.5 month old baby is 24 - 32 ounces in 24 hours. Yesterday, your baby had 5.5 ounces with her caregiver. So let's say she had maximum 27 ounces with you over 11 nursing sessions, that works out to 2.5 ounces/session - entirely normal! The point is, if you had nursed at noon rather than pumped, she would have had ~2.5 with you, and you pumped 3 ounces. I realize it took 40 minutes of pumping to get that, but she is also having some 40 minute sessions of nursing, too - for example 6:30 - 7:10 pm. And there is the possibility that some of this is hormonally related, and will get better as you get through this half of your cycle.

You mentioned a new pump - what kind of pump did you get?

Also, I wanted to point out that actually her sleep pattern is quite good - at least last night's was. She gave you a 4 hour, 40 minute stretch which is really excellent for a 6.5 month old! Again I realize that the stretches after that were shorter and I KNOW how difficult it is to be woken up every couple hours, especially when you are working the next day, but all of this is quite normal and won't go on forever. Another thought is that perhaps she is teething? She is certainly at the age for it. If you think that might be the case, you could consider giving tylenol or ibuprofen say at the 2:40 wakeup, and see if you can get a second slightly longer stretch in the night.

Just saw your additional post. Babies become more efficient with nursing as they get older, so 10 minutes of nursing is more than adequate. And distractibility is also really normal for this age. I agree with letting her drain one side, then offering the other. And her weight sounds great!

Mama, you are doing a great job. Keep at it!