Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shields

Default Nipple Shields

4 weeks of a badly damaged nipple that will not heal. I have been checked by several lactation consultants and Le Leche leaders who say our latch is fine so I believe the issue to be that originally the latch was bad and this has caused the damage and it just hasn't had a chance to heal and can't get better as I am still feeding from it. I have tried expressing from the bad side and feeding with cup, syringe and bottle but neither were successful and also I don't really want to use these methods!! How easy is it to use nipple shields-I feel this is my last resort now.

Default Re: Nipple Shields

My baby girl is only 4 days old, but because of initial latch problems, I was forced to use a nipple shield. Contrary to previous belief, they are extremely easy to use. They are reusable (at least the one I have is) and very easy to clean and maintain. The only difficult part is making sure you have it with you whenever you begin to nurse! The shield I'm using is actually the one that was given to me while at the hospital. I'm not sure if using the shield has protected my nipples from possible damages any better than if I had not been using one.

Shields are really easy to use, and as the PP said, the major challenge with a shield is to remember to take it with you wherever you go. And not to drop it on the floor when you're out in public- yuck!

Given the problems you've been having, I think it makes sense to try a a shield. The major issue with shields is that they can slow/reduce milk transfer, which can result in baby not getting enough to eat. Since you're able to nurse on the other breast without using a shield, this probably won't be a problem for you- but i think it makes sense to be sure to watch your LO's diaper output a bit more carefully while you're using the shield.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I prefer to see nipple sheilds used only under the guidance of an IBCLC. I do agree it makes some sense to try the sheild. They are inexpensive and pretty easy to find. It may not work, however. in my experience, nipples that won't heal won't heal because the latch is still off, no matter how it looks. OR there is an infection preventing healing. And yes latch can be a problem on one side and not the other. With some poor latch issues, the nipple sheild will cause even more pain and damage, so discontinue use immediately if that occurs. Also be aware that ill fitting sheilds will cause issues. If you have a particulary thick or large nipple, especially, the sheild can be too small. There are two standard sizes available and a couple different brands which also make a difference,- but the stores where moms typically buy these usually only sell one size and brand.

Read the instructions of how to put the sheild on very carefully. This is the only tricky part of using a sheild. The potential problem with sheilds is the milk transfer concern mommal mentions and weaning off them once started, which for some moms and babies is very difficult. Both are less of a concern for you as you will be using the sheild on one side only.

Great thanks ladies for your help. I have brought some shields to try so wish me luck! I have actually in the meantime resorted to feeding from a bottle on that side temporarily which he is totally fine with (as long as its not me that is) so might not need them. Gonna see how the nipple feels afrer a few days rest! Thanks again x