Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expressing advice

Default Expressing advice

Hi girlies. If anyone has any tips introducing bottle to LO for first time I would very much appreciate it! The reason is because I have such a damaged nipple on one breast that I want to express from that side and still breast feed from the other. We have tried cup and syringe but found this so hard to do. I have a medela calma bottle (came with breast pump) and thought I would try to give the expressed milk to LO using this but our first attempt did not go well. I expected him to find it odd so no surprises there but really want to get him to take it as this damaged nipple is just not healing where I keep feeding from it. I would also like to have pain free feeding!! My LO is 6 weeks old am I expecting too much from him to take the bottle? I really don't want to have to give him bottle but the nipple situation has left me no choice now as it has been sore for 4 weeks and I think I really need to get it to heal. Thanks x

Default Re: Expressing advice

Breastfed babies are often very reluctant to take a bottle from mom. They know she has the real thing just inches away... So it may help to have dad or another caregiver introduce the bottle. Try different nipples, different bottles, different milk temperatures. Hopefully you'll find the combination your LO likes!

You may be able to simply nurse more on the undamaged side, without needing to offer bottle of milk from the damaged side. Although if you're going to avoid nursing on the side the damaged nipple, you're still going to want to pump that side.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you look on the LLL Resources page, there are some good articles about bottle feeding with tips and suggestions. Also, Kellymom has a good page on this. I recommend starting there - those resources really helped me. We struggled with bottle acceptance for months, and went through lots of variations. Just be patient and optimistic and keep trying. Feel free to private message me for more specifics.

Agree with Mommal about having someone else give the bottle. Even now, although mine takes the bottle fine at daycare, he won't take it at home at ALL if I'm even in the house (he knows mom is nearby so why take a substitute?). So maybe try going for a walk or running an errand while another caregiver tries.

Thanks ladies. He hated the Calma so tried another type with my mum feeding him and he is totally ok with it-more so than me!!! My husband is away but back tomorrow and is most excited that he will get to feed him now and again,w well at least until I am healed up on that side. Thanks again for the tips x