Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 questions. coffee and vitamins

Default 2 questions. coffee and vitamins

Hello hope someone can answer.
    I have 2 questions to ask.
    1. Do i need to take multivitamins while breastfeeding? I did in the early days but havent for months now, will my 6 month old still be getting good milk or should i start taking some?

2. I like a morning coffee (with numerous dunking biscuits) in the morning will this regular coffee drinking have any long term effects on my baby? There are occassions i have an extra cup in the afternoon if i pop to see a friend.

Thank you.

Default Re: 2 questions. coffee and vitamins

You don't NEED to take a vitamin- after all, women were breastfeeding for millennia before vitamin supplements were invented! You will produce good milk whether you take a vitamin or not. But taking a vitamin is still a good idea- it cannot hurt and may help. In particular, breastfeeding can be pretty draining for you, and a daily vitamin might help.

Coffee is fine for your baby. Just don't drink excessive amounts. A cup in the morning or a few cups over the course of the day is fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you Mommal for answering.

Would you reccommend any multivitamin you can buy or the specially made breastfeeding ones by pregnacare? i've thought about taking just a normal multivitamin (especially the Hollands and Barratts ABC plud multivitamin) but was unsure if there was anything in ordinary or the ABC plus that i shouldn't be having while breastfeeding ?

Thank you also about the coffee, i do enjoy my coffee recently. Is there anything i could eat or drink that would effect my LO long term?

IIRC, a prenatal vitamin (any brand) is best for women who are nursing young babies.

The only things you should absolutely avoid while nursing are large volumes of alcohol, hard drugs, and heavy metals. If you're worried about coffee, something tells me you're not the type of person who is getting blackout drunk while taking heroin and chewing on lead pain chips! But if you eat a lot of fish, it makes sense to avoid or at least moderate your consumption of species which tend to have high levels of heavy metals- things like tuna, mackerel, swordfish, grouper, shark, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

LOL, thank you again mommal.
    No definitely not me, i'm not much of a drinker, and don't smoke but i do worry ALOT!

I ask about the vitamins because i have checked the back of a prenatal and a normal and they both have the same ingredients but the normal multivitamin is far cheaper. I often thought about putting my LO on formula as i worried i wasn't producing good milk because to be honest my diet can be abit sluggy haha.

Generic prenatal a tend to be only marginally more expensive than a multivitamin, and they have the same stuff in them as the brand-name product. I'd err on the side of taking a prenatal until around 12 months, and then switch to a regular multivitamin.

Don't give formula another thought. The idea that a mom must maintain a perfect diet while breastfeeding, or else risk producing poor quality milk, is just a myth. It drives me nuts that there are so many moms out there who don't breastfeed or who do nurse but beat themselves up with guilt because they can't achieve perfection. The truth is that a mom could subsist on twinkles and soda pop and her milk would still be preferable to formula! Not that she, you know, should.

Ok thanks i will consider getting some prenatals, if only to keep me going, i feel so drained!

I have to say it has been a huge pressure, worrying constantly if i'm eating right or enough, if i'm eating or drinking things that will effect how he grows up, if eating sugary things will make him hyper when older etc... You read that what you eat goes to baby so you inevitabely worry about the things you eat. So to think about formula which just contains the vitamins you get tempted. BUT even though i have thought about it, I cannot bring myself to atually take him away from my breastmilk, he's a nightmare to nurse but i'm certainly not ready to stop.
    mmmm now a diet on chocolate biscuits and cola sounds yum lol