Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop bf'ing - does my baby need any other milk?

Default Stop bf'ing - does my baby need any other milk?

Hello there! I've bf'ing my 12 months toddler since her birth. During some periods I had to supplement, but the past few months she's had only my milk and her solids. She's happy and growing steady - too fast in my opinion! ;-)
    I will reduce bf'ing soon when I get back to work full time, and I wonder, does my baby need to drink any other type of milk if I reduce bf'ing?
    I never drink cow milk myself. Does she need to?
    Thanks in advance for your help - againagain!

Default Re: Stop bf'ing - does my baby need any other milk?

Are you cutting back? Or weaning? If you are still nursing 3-5times in a 24hour period no supplement is needed. If NOT than yes. She need another source of fat that is milk or equivilent for brain development.

Way too lazy for formula

Although she doesn't need to drink milk, per say. She can get her dairy requirement met if you feed her plenty of whole milk yogurt and cheese rather than having her drink milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, ladies. My girl already eats a lot of cheese, she loves it. I have tried giving her cow milk, but she didnt like it. I used to hate it as a child so I didnt try to force her drinking it, I guess Im traumatized... She also eats all kinds of other solids, so I think she is getting all the calcium and fats that cow milk could give her. I was thinking of buying formula, but do you think there is a point in it?

I'd only buy formula if her intake of things like cheese and yogurt are too low for her to meet her recommended daily allowance. I'd talk to the pediatrician about this- they should be able to tell you how many servings per day your LO needs. This is why I personally love toddler nursing- no need to worry if my LO refused cow's milk or wouldn't eat yogurt for 3 weeks straight!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks again. The doubt I have is, why does a baby need to take cow milk or any other dairy product if she is eating all kinds of food? Mother's milk doesn't really resemble dairies, so why would these be a substitute to it? And if they are similar, why are people buying formula for older babies? And well, how do they manage in countries where cows are not so common or traditional? I am just a bit confused with all this, I want my daughter to get all she needs and I will have to breast feed much less when I start working again... What is in dairy products that is so fundamental for a child's growth and can't be found anywhere else?

The "dairy" requirement isn't about milk per se. It's about calcium and fat, both of which are really important for toddler development. A toddler can definitely get calcium and fat from sources other than milk, but milk or other dairy products are usually the easiest way to get a child to consume enough of them- especially when you consider how erratic a toddler's eating habits can be. Some days your toddler will eat a complete and balanced diet. Other days she'll subsist on Cheerios and floor dirt.

People buy formula for older babies because companies market formula for older babies. Toddler formula is less about nutrition than it is about parental insecurity. If you're in the supermarket, trying to decide between a jug of store brand whole cow's milk and a "Special Toddlers Formula, with DHA and ARA, fortified with vitamins!", which one is going to seem like the better option? In our guts we all know that toddlers aren't the same as adults or older children, and formula companies take advantage of that to sell a niche product.

So what did people do before dairy requirements and toddler formula and whatnot? What do they do in countries where the aren't big dairy industries? Well, for most of human history, children were simply breastfed into the second year or beyond. The Talmud (circa 500-600 C.E.) says that a woman is considered to be a nursing mother for 2 years after childbirth, and refers to women nursing for as long as 5 years after childbirth. Medieval and Renaissance "Maria Lactans" art from Europe often portrays Mary nursing a toddler Jesus (see this collection for examples: http://www.iamnotthebabysitter.com/m...rry-christmas/ - I especially like the ones with the standing toddlers!). Anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler says that the natural age of weaning is probably between 2 and 7 years old (see this article, originally published in Natural History magazine: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read...7/When_to_wean). It's probably only in the last hundred years or so, since the development of the first formulas, that babies have been routinely weaned at or before a year.

Thank you, mommal, for your very serious reply. You are so right about parent insecurity! This is my first child, so I have a lot of questions, and asking the pediatrician is not always my favourite way: he is not a bf supporter and has tried to put me off from the start.
    I am so happy I made it all this way, I enjoy bf'ing very much and I don't want to quit now. But I will have to reduce the sessions as I will be out for some 9 hours a day.
    I will make sure my baby eats what she needs - and I'm sure that at the day care she will have a lot of dairy products: they adore them here in Denmark.
    A special thanks for the link with the beautiful works of art. That made my day!
    Best regards,
    Y.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yaiza View Post
    Thanks again. The doubt I have is, why does a baby need to take cow milk or any other dairy product if she is eating all kinds of food? Mother's milk doesn't really resemble dairies, so why would these be a substitute to it? And if they are similar, why are people buying formula for older babies? And well, how do they manage in countries where cows are not so common or traditional? I am just a bit confused with all this, I want my daughter to get all she needs and I will have to breast feed much less when I start working again... What is in dairy products that is so fundamental for a child's growth and can't be found anywhere else?
    It's about the fat. Not the resemblence. And Toddler formula is just baby formula. People buy it because it's marketed. Not because it's needed. In Other countries most women breastfeed for longer than a year. So it's a non isse. Human Babies don't usually wean on their own before the 24month point and that would be VERY early. As long as you continue to breastfeed at leat 3-5 times in a 24hour period, you don't need any kind of substitue.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yaiza View Post
    I am so happy I made it all this way, I enjoy bf'ing very much and I don't want to quit now. But I will have to reduce the sessions as I will be out for some 9 hours a day.
    After the year point there is no issue with established supply. Women go away all weekend and come back and pick up where they left off. I was at home full time nursing on demand until 14months. At 14month I went back full time, no pumping, was gone 9-10 hours a day 5days a week and had no issue. We nursed on demand 4-5 time a day on my work days. 7-10 times a day on my off days. No problem He always got milk. And he wouldn't drink cows milk at all until after he turned two.

Way too lazy for formula

Red face Re: Stop bf'ing - does my baby need any other milk?

Thanks again. There are so many things I didn't know! I feel reassured now. Thanks, thanks!