Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming to an end

Default Re: Coming to an end

Ok, so let me give you the run down of a typical weekday bc I am getting the impression you think I am a SAHM(I wish ). I work full time M-F and I pump weaned the wk of Christmas. So typically I will let her nurse I'd she is starting to wake up in the am when it is time for me to get up, just to get her settled and back to sleep. Then she goes to DC where she drinks cows milk while away from me. Then I get her around 5:00 and she nurses 1 time and usually takes a bottle of cows milk at supper. Then when it is time to go to bed she nurses to sleep and typically 1-2 times additionally during the night. So by day time weaning I am only eliminating 1 session... On an off day it may be 2 sessions. I should probably add that she only takes one side (has since birth). If I night nurse tonight will there be enough milk? How long does it take to dry up?
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Default Re: Coming to an end

It's really not important whether you're a SAHM or a WOHM. What's important is finding a sleep/work/nurse balance that works best for everyone in the house. For some mom/baby pairs that's going to be to continue nursing on demand for as long as baby wants, for others that's going to mean mother-led weaning well ahead of baby's timetable.

You can definitely nurse just part-time. You can nurse at night but not during the day or vice versa, and you can keep whichever nursing sessions work for you. It sounds like the other night nursing might have meant more sleep for everyone! if you choose to nurse tonight, there will certainly be milk there for your baby. Maybe not a huge amount, but some. It might take her 2 breasts to be satisfied, and she might get less than she's accostomed to getting- but whatever you give her will help her go back to sleep. After a year, night nursing is usually not about food as much as it is about comfort.

Drying up is very individual. It can take a very short time or a very long time, depending on the mom. I was able to express a small amount of milk for several months after weaning my first child, and some moms can get milk many months or sometimes even years after weaning.

I would avoid bottles at night. Milk from a bottle can pool in the mouth, and that can cause tooth decay. (This isn't a problem with nursing babies because they must swallow in order to maintain milk flow, and the constant swallowing more or less eliminates the pooling of milk in the mouth.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"