Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start rice cereal?

Default Start rice cereal?

My FIL keeps making comments about starting my daughter on cereal. My DD is 3.5 minths old but shows an huge ibterest in food. She tried to eat my FILs mcdonalds apple pie. I would like to wait till her 4 month checkup to ask her doc abt it but is this necessary? I plan on breastfeeding up until about 6 months. My DD is healthy and happy and im sort of eager myself to start her on puree foods and wean off of the breast.

Default Re: Start rice cereal?

No, you definitely don't want to offer solids at just 3.5 months!!! Your LO isn't reaching for your FIL's heavily processed McDonald's apple pie because she's hungry- she's doing it because she is interested in everything she sees, and wants to grab everything in sight. She'll grab for your car keys if you jingle them in front of her, but that doesn't mean she wants to drive your car.

When you do start solids- which should be at 6 months, and not before (see this reference for a more thorough explanation: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...solids-when/)- you don't want to start with rice cereal. Rice cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals but otherwise it is simply pure starch. Not the healthiest food to feed a baby. Start with fruits, veggies, and meats, instead. And if you plan to stop nursing at 6 months, remember that until 1 year your baby's majority source of nutrition should be formula, not solids. So you can't expect to transition from nursing to solids at 6 months; it's going to have to be formula and small amounts of solids, gradually increasing to majority solids AFTER the first birthday.

May I ask why you're so eager to wean? If there's something about breastfeeding that is getting you down, we'd love to help you troubleshoot!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The current recommendation is to wait until 6 months to start introducing solids, because their gut is not really developmentally ready to process solid foods (including rice cereal) until then. Some doctors will say 4-6 months, but that's outdated information.

Here's a link to the American Academy of Pediatrics most recent policy statement:
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...29/3/e827.full

At that point it's a gradual transition to solid food. It usually takes many months until solids constitute the majority of the baby's intake, and the AAP recommends breastfeeding until AT LEAST 1 year. If you are planning to wean off the breast before then, you will need to supplement with formula to make sure your baby gets the nutrition she needs.

Hope that helps, and congrats for making it this far with breastfeeding.

Not problems per say just getting annoying. When she is hungry i have ro stop what i am doing missing conversations, shows, parts of movies. One side still hurts which has been from the beginning. She is increasingly distracted during feedings pulling off and just looking around. Nothing major and ive made it this far. This is nothing compared to what o have gone through. Thanks for the advice. My in laws talk about adding cereal to her milk but how does that work if she breastfed? I refuse to pump all the time. She gets formula on the weekends while i work if there isnt any breastmilk.

Don't put cereal in her bottles, it is a choking hazard. I don't think you are going to find many advocates of rice cereal on this forum. We did finger foods from 6 months on, no cereal at all, because, as mommal said, it isn't really nutritious. Even my pedi said that cereal is more of a tool to teach babies how to eat off of a spoon, but that is all.

As she gets older BFing her will be easier, faster, and more spread out. You will eventually learn how to get her to latch on while you are doing other things so you won't feel as tied down. She will soon get over being so distractible, too, making life easier.

Good Luck!

ETA: I just saw in the original post that you plan to BF for 6 months. The first 6 months are the hardest! I wouldn't advise putting yourself through those first hard months then weaning, because then you are missing the months where BFing is much easier than bottle feeding. This is just my opinion Stick with it, it gets easier.
    Last edited by @llli*sassypants; January 11th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

It sounds like your in-laws are giving you advice that was current in their generation, but which runs opposite to current recommendations. A generation ago, almost all babies were formula-fed and doctors often advised that children be fed solids early on in order to facilitate early weaning from expensive formula and tooth-rotting bottles, and parents put rice cereal in a bottle to "help baby sleep better." Sometime between then and now, someone went and did the research, and realized that a) solids don't help babies sleep, b) cereal in a bottle forms lumps which can pose a choking hazard to small babies, c) solids are not a substitute for the balanced and complete nutrition provided by breastmilk (or formula), d) solids don't offer the immunological protection that breastmilk does, and e) early solids are linked to a variety of health issues, including allergies and obesity.

I always found the first 6 months of breastfeeding to be the most challenging in terms of my freedom. But it really does get better as time goes on. May I ask why you need to miss conversations, movies, shows, etc.? Is someone telling you to run off and nurse in a bathroom or something? If so, you can tell them that I told them where they can stick it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

If there is any men around i will not BF...like my father in law. I hate those cover ups because it seems to make my DD overheat and i like being able to see and watch her since she pops off. It is more of a comfort thing for me. If it is just my sister in law or MIL im ok.

So it's more about your comfort than theirs? What would happen if you just stayed where you were and said "I'm going to nurse now, so if you don't want to risk seeing, please vacate the premises!"? That's how I always handled it- at least until my FIL became too inform to get up and leave the room. Once that happened, I would leave if the baby needed to nurse.

One thing that will happen- I promise!- is that your LO will eventually be able to go longer between feedings, and that will mean fewer times when you need to run and hide.

I completely understand feeling "left out" while BFing. I too experience this, and it can feel isolating at times. To deal I: 1. tell myself that this is best for the baby, that I'm doing everything to provide him with good health and nutrition, 2. tell myself that this won't last forever; soon he will be walking and talking and the days of being alone and bfing will be a memory. If you are with family and need to leave the room, you can always invite a female family member to join you in the other room to keep you company; if it's your MIL or another woman who's had children, she will probably understand your loneliness.

If you're worried about men, I find that instead of the cover (yes, they are hot!) there are other ways to hide the boob and still bf. My favorite tactic is to wear a nice bulky button-up or cardigan sweater, so that I can use the side of the sweater to cover any showing boob from the side. Also, a bigger t-shirt will cover things from the front. Really, the baby's head will mask the boob itself--you can try practicing a few techniques in the mirror to see what others see. I didn't realize how much you can't see until I watched my sister and a few friends bf across the room from me. Never did I catch a glimpse of a nipple! You only think you are showing a lot because you are overly aware of what you are doing. Also, most men will be slightly uncomfortable around a bf woman and try hard to look away! Trust me, your male family members are probably not going to be waiting for you to feed your baby to sneak a peek!

The other day I finally bf in front of my dad (yes, awkward!) and I don't think he saw anything. In fact, he didn't really look at me, mostly kept his eyes on others in the room or looked at my face. Just something to consider...

Keep with it! I remember 3.5 months--yes, he was very distracted, but this will pass. You might want to try to meet with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBLCL certified nurse, to check out the pain in the one breast. Resolving that issue, whatever it may be, will also help you feel more positively about your bfing relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andie613 View Post
    I find that instead of the cover (yes, they are hot!) there are other ways to hide the boob and still bf. My favorite tactic is to wear a nice bulky button-up or cardigan sweater, so that I can use the side of the sweater to cover any showing boob from the side. Also, a bigger t-shirt will cover things from the front. Really, the baby's head will mask the boob itself--you can try practicing a few techniques in the mirror to see what others see. I didn't realize how much you can't see until I watched my sister and a few friends bf across the room from me.
    Totally agree with this! I also found it helps a lot for me to wear shirts that are stretchy and low cut enough to pull down over the breast I am offering, rather than having to lift up my top. With tops like this and nice big, flowing, open cardigans to wrap around me, nobody sees anything!