Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Jack Newman's All purp nipple ointment cancerous ingredients!!!

Default Jack Newman's All purp nipple ointment cancerous ingredients!!!

My pharmacist accidentally delivered the ingredients of APNO to me rather than compounding it. My DH just read that one of the ingredients has been known to cause cancer in the state of California!!! And Jack Newman says not to wipe this off before your LO nurses... ugh. Yikes!

Default Re: Jack Newman's All purp nipple ointment cancerous ingredients!!!

heck I think everything causes cancer in ca.. lol
    I was reading that on a christmas candle that you plug in the wall..
    it said wash your hands well after touching the courd because it caused cancer in ca..
    My lll leader swears by that stuff, she didn't find it untill her 6th baby and it works like a charm for her.

Which ingredient is it?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Going to bed now but I'll look again tomorrow, sorry. It's across the house and I'm soooo tired!

Alright: here is what Jack Newman says about APNO

“All purpose nipple ointment” (APNO)
    This combination of 3 ingredients seems to help for many causes of sore nipples, including poor latch, Candida (yeast), dermatologic conditions, infections of the nipple with bacteria and possibly other causes as well. It is always good, however, to try to assure the best latch possible, because improving the latch helps with any cause of pain.

mupirocin 2% ointment (not cream): 15 grams.

betamethasone 0.1% ointment (not cream): 15 grams. If betamethasone ointment is unavailable, mometasone ointment (15 grams) can be used instead. It is better not to mix creams and ointments.

To which is added miconazole powder so that the final concentration is 2% miconazole. Sometimes it is helpful to add ibuprofen powder as well, so that the final concentration of ibuprofen is 2%.

This combination gives a total volume of approximately 30 grams. Clotrimazole powder to a final concentration of 2% may be substituted if miconazole powder is unavailable, but both exist (the pharmacist may have to order it in). I believe clotrimazole is not as good as miconazole, but I have no proof of that. Using powder gives a better concentration of antifungal agent (miconazole or clotrimazole) and the concentrations of the mupirocin and betamethasone remain higher.

The combination is applied sparingly after each feeding (except the feeding when the mother uses gentian violet). Do not wash or wipe it off, even if the pharmacist asks you to. In Canada, Kenacomb (easier to find) or Viaderm KC (less expensive) ointments (not cream) can be substituted for the above combination, but are distinctly inferior. I used to use nystatin ointment or miconazole cream (15 grams) as part of the mixture, and these work well, but I believe the use of powdered miconazole (or clotrimazole powder) gives better results

Ok, so here's what I read on the actual boxes/inserts
    The Miconazole says on it: Warning: this product contains acrylamide, a chemical known in the state of California to cause cancer.

The Betamethazone ointment says: Pediatric patients may demonstrate greater susceptibility to coticosteroid induced HPA axis suppression. and Cushing's syndrome than mature patients because of larger skin surface area to body weight ratio. I know this is for if it is put on skin, but EATING it off of your nipple can't be good. Mainfestations of adrenal supprssion in children include linear growth retardation, delayed weight gain, low plasma cortisol levels, and absence of response to ACTH stimulation (not sure what that is).

They also say on this box Ointment for topical use only, not for ingestion (as the baby would have if you don't wipe it off especailly)

Mupirocin just comes with a label warning for nursing moms that they aren't sure if it goes through milk or not.

Maybe this is overreacting, but hey, I don't want to have my son having stuff in his mouth like this! Crap, I was really hoping this would help with thrush, too.

Speaking as a mom, I tend to take these really strict warnings with a grain of salt. Mostly, they're trying to cover their butts from lawsuits. And sometimes these "risks" don't outweigh the possible benefits that might result from using the drug. Or, the "risks" are really things that aren't so risky after all.

A couple of points:

Miconazole -- Acrylamide is contained in many foods that we eat. It can also be created during microwaving. California seems to really be taking a stand against it. Apparently they're working towards getting warning labels put on potato chips and french fries too. (http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1207).

Betamethasone -- According to Thomas Hale (guru of all things medication and breastfeeding ), this drug "belongs in the 'medium potency' category, just like mometasone and triamcinolone. Further, it is diluted 3 fold in Jack's preparation." (http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/58/4011.html)

Mupirocin -- Also called Bactroban. I can't find anything negative about it. Hale seems to recommend it over other antibiotic creams.

Also, something to keep in mind is that Jack Newman says to apply APNO sparingly. He even goes on to explain what he means by sparingly. One would assume he does this so that the amount the baby ends up getting is extremely minimal (http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html -- under #2).