Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to cut the nursing to sleep connection?

Default how to cut the nursing to sleep connection?

My DS (soon to be 17 mo) nurses largely for comfort and just cannot fall asleep unless he is nursing. (Unless he dozes off on the shoulder or in the car, which is RARE). I read how Mommies here have managed to night wean and stop the nursing to sleep connection. I really, badly want to do it because my kiddo's thrush is back after a year and the ped is pretty keen I wean him off completely. Am I right in thinking that breaking this connect would be at least a step towards complete weaning? It will help with him beating the thrush too I feel, if he stops sleeping off with milk residue in his mouth. Please, please HELP! Am getting very depressed about the whole thing. I read about trying to make them sleep with a book, but seriously, I cannot imagine him falling for it! Right now he just cries and cries asking for "boo" if I refuse / distract. He would rather skip naps or stay up and cry in the night if I try anything else but nursing.

Default Re: how to cut the nursing to sleep connection?

I'm a little confused by your pediatrician's logic. Why does he think that weaning will help your child overcome the thrush? Milk residue doesn't usually just sit in the mouth of a breastfed baby. Breastfeeding isn't like bottle-feeding, which allows milk to drip-drip-drip into the child's mouth regardless of whether or not he's swallowing. A breastfeeding baby has to keep swallowing in order to get the milk to keep flowing.

If you decide you really do need to wean, then yeah, it's going to be a struggle! All you can do is refuse to nurse, keep the bedroom dark and quiet, and offer alternative forms of comfort (back rub, lullaby, etc.) until your LO falls asleep. It may help if someone other than you takes over the bedtime routine until your LO is completely weaned- because when he sees you, he's going to want to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

completly with PP.
    Also you write, your ped is kean you off - but are you? If you want to wean, of course and as PP it will be a struggle.
    But if it is the pediatrician only, do reconsider your options.

The ped thinks he is getting the thrush from my nipples, because it is only on the inside of his lips. So its either nipples or the straw cup which I had not been sterlising. But now that he has got thrush already, he thinks if I stop both (breastfeeding as well as straw cup), it will be easier to get the thrush down and over with. I want to wean him too, but only because of the thrush. As long as he didn't have thrush, I was all for doing it naturally. But I keep reading horrible things about how thrush shouldnt be happening in older babies, and how it can really bother the immune system and feel really worried and scared that I am giving him something nasty through the nipples (