Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 5 week old is nursing less

Default My 5 week old is nursing less

My little one was nursing loads in the beginning (30-40mins), then he started feeding 17-20 mins and now I am lucky if he feeds for 15mins. He starts coming off after 7 mins and its hard to get him to latch on again, I nearly have to keep trying him until he gives up and latches on. He always fed every 3 hours and at night he was like clock work but last night he fed at 11 for 20mins and went to sleep at 11.30. He normally would wake at 2.30 or 3am, but I actually had to wake him at 5am to feed him. Should I be concerned or do babies become more efficient at nursing and therefore don't take as long to feed. Is this normal at 5 weeks?

Default Re: My 5 week old is nursing less

Welcome to the forum!

Babies definitely become more efficient at nursing, and by the time they are a few months old, many of them can get a full meal in just 5-10 minutes at the breast. Plenty of babies become efficient feeders way before that point, with some babies requiring just a few minutes even in the very early weeks. The best way to reassure yourself about the baby's milk intake is to watch his diaper output. If he's producing enough wet and poopy diapers, then he's getting enough to eat.

It's also important to watch your baby's nursing frequency. In the first 6 weeks, most babies require about 10-12 nursing sessions per day. These sessions may be evenly spaced throughout the day and night, or the baby may have several long stretches of sleep and concentrate some of those 10-12 nursing sessions into a few clusters. After 6 weeks, many babies continue to feed 10-12 times a day, or even more often, but many will settle into a pattern of nursing as seldom as 8 times a day- although they will increase their nursing frequency any time they need mom to produce more milk and during growth spurts. Your baby is a little young to sleep all the way through the night, so I would actually proactively wake him if he continues to give you such long stretches of sleep. Just for another week or so- or longer if you have concerns about his growth.

One thing to be aware of is that once a baby is consistently sleeping 6+ hours at night, there's a good chance that your fertility will return. If you're currently relying on breastfeeding for birth control, now is a good time to think about using an additional contraceptive measure, or to get used to the idea of a surprise baby! We love talking about birth control options, so if you are looking for a method that might be right for you, feel free to run it by the forum and crowd-source some opinions!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: My 5 week old is nursing less

Thanks for your reply and advice. He is definitely producing enough wet and poopy diapers.