Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad latch

Default Bad latch

My baby is 4 weeks now and nursing is going better but I have a feeling she has a bad latch. My nipples aren't necessarily too sore anymore but sometimes when I nurse it is uncomfortable. I have fast let down so she try's to bit down on just the tip to slow it down. I let the letdown out on a burp cloth and let her nurse anyways but it's still fast. If I try to break her suction to get her to relatch she doesn't open very wide and if I do manage to get more areola in the he's am and cried. Sometimes if I unlatch her she will refuse to latch back on at all which gets very frustrating and makes me hesitant to break it then so I just let her continue to nurse like a "hampster". I honestly have small nipples j had to special order an extra small nipple shield for my right side but i have gotten her to nurse without that now. Any suggestions? I just want her to empty my breasts good and not start having trouble with supply in the long run due to her poor latch.

Default Re: Bad latch

So is the problem that the baby's initial latch is good, and then ass the feeding progresses it becomes shallow and painful, or is it painful all the way through the feeding?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's painful towards the end of the feeding. After she's been burped and I put her back on she never opens her mouth wide enough for a deep latch and fusses. She'll usually only take the tip or nothing at all. I also notice she lets it dribble out of her mouth and gets mad if I have another let down and starts crying.

Often a baby will learn to control a rapid letdown by compressing the nipple. It's like crimping a straw to slow the flow through the straw. Fast letdowns are usually related to oversupply, and often the key to controlling the fast letdowns and reducing the baby's need to compress the nipple is to control oversupply. So let's try to identify whether or not oversupply is the root cause of the problem. Do you experience some or all of the following:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - Frequent leaking
    - Strong letdown sensation
    - Ability to pump multiple oz of milk with ease, if you are pumping
    - Baby coughs, gags, splutters, or makes a clicking/clucking sound while nursing
    - Baby sometimes pulls off the breast during letdowns
    - If baby pulls off the breast, you may see milk stream or squirt from the breast
    - Baby's poops are frequently or consistently green
    - Baby gains weight at a rapid pace
    - Feedings are fast, sometimes in as little as 5-10 minutes

One thing you don't need to worry about is getting the baby to empty your breasts. First of all, the breast is never really empty since more milk is always being made, and the emptier the breast gets the faster milk is being made to replace what is being taken out. And if your baby is gaining adequate weight and peeing/pooping normally, then she's getting her meals even if you're still feeling full or full ish at the conclusion of a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"