Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Watery/mucousy poops?

Default Watery/mucousy poops?

Remind me what causes watery and/or mucousy poops in newborns? DS2 is 3.5 weeks old, and has always has watery/mucousy poops (once he got rid of the meconium, that is). He frequently has blowout diapers, probably because he skips days. He's also very gassy (P U!). Thing is, the color is right and it's seedy.

History: 8 lbs 3 oz at birth, down to 7 lbs 8 oz at day 3, up to 7 lbs 12 oz at 6 days, 8 lbs 9 oz at 2 weeks, and at 3 weeks was 9 lbs 6 oz. He's also gained in length and head circumference, though I don't remember how much.

He was tongue tied, which was clipped at 3 weeks. I have an OALD and some oversupply, but my 2 year old does a good job of keeping that in check!

Anyway, what could be causing the liquid-iness?

TIA!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Watery/mucousy poops?

my 5 week old is doing the same and has being doing the same since he got rid of the meconium. Do you find your baby struggles to do his poo's? I find my little one is in pain at times.

It honestly sounds normal to me. As long as you're not seeing blood, or very frequent poops (I'm talking multiple times a day), I'd not worry about the liquid consistency. Some mucous can be normal as well.
    Sounds like he's gaining wonderfully too!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I agree with pp. A breastfed baby's poop is on the liquidy side because they are on a liquid diet. Any unusual liquidity or mucousy look is probably due to the overoroduction, and as long as baby is healthy and gaining, not in any way a problem.

Gas and discomfort when pooping (or not pooping) is also entirely normal and not a health issue in and of themseves. We all feel something when we need to go, that is how we know we need to go! Babies just don't hide the fact they have to go, or are going, or have gas, etc. etc. nor do they have the ability to rationalize the feeling to themselves. They react to every sensation without filter.

edit-as I was writing this, ^my baby was fussing and fussing and I have been juggling her and patting her and finally she just let out the teeniest burp! So, that is a demonstration of what I am talking about.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; January 16th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Okay, everything is normal then. My first had the watery green poops of oversupply. Normal newborn poops are new to me!

lllmeg: I hear you. As I was writing this, DS2 wriggled and wriggled in the sling, then finally let go a little fart. Now he's asleep again! I have remind myself he's only just beginning to use his digestive tract... everything must feel really weird!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss