Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No LASIK? Really? Any BF mamas experience vision changes?

Default No LASIK? Really? Any BF mamas experience vision changes?

Hi -- I just got turned down for LASIK b/c I'm nursing! Dr said that its common for women to experience vision changes when they're lactating. I find this hard to believe since I never heard of this complaint before. My eyes seem the same to me. Anyone experience worsening eyesight? Wondering if this is really as common as Dr says it is...

Default Re: No LASIK? Really? Any BF mamas experience vision changes

I'm not sure it's worse, but I do think it's different. My eye doctor mentioned it as well. I would certainly wait on an elective surgery that needs to be calibrated to your vision.

I've never heard of breastfeeding causing vision changes, but pregnancy definitely can and often does. Perhaps the rebound from pregnancy would account for vision changes during breastfeeding?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup, my optometrist told me this. I had perfectly fine vision for a long time but developed an astigmatism after years of being pregnant and nursing.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Pregnancy and BFing CAN change your vision, but doesn't always. Most LASIK providers will turn down a nursing mother because there is a chance of vision change, but other are okay with it as long as your prescription didn't change when you were pregnant and nursing. It is also important to know that many LASIK providers will tell you that the post-op medication is contraindicated while nursing, but that is not actually true either. I had LASIK done when DS was 15mo and still nursing a couple times a day, so I checked the medications with infantrisk and they were fine.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014

thanks for your insight everyone. I guess our vision can change Oh well, I'll gladly keep my poor eyes to keep nursing baby...