Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talking to my 3 year old about weaning

Default Re: Talking to my 3 year old about weaning

Shelly and Jenna,

Were your kids agressive about nursing? I mean sometimes if I want to delay or not nurse, she will cry and rip at my shirt, etc...sometimes she is ok, if I say wait a minute or when I am done doing X. But she always remembers and will ask for it again.

I am thinking I will just let her be for now.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    Shelly and Jenna,

Were your kids agressive about nursing? I mean sometimes if I want to delay or not nurse, she will cry and rip at my shirt, etc...sometimes she is ok, if I say wait a minute or when I am done doing X. But she always remembers and will ask for it again.

I am thinking I will just let her be for now.
    Yes. But that fell into the category of nursing manners. Which we started dealing with after the year point. So if he behaved badly, and IMO pulling at my clothes is bad behavior whether he wanted to nurse or not, he wouldn't get his way. Because after a year it was really a relationship. And I wanted him to understand that we both had to feel goood about if for it to happen. By 3 he really only was tugging on my clothes if he was feeling apprehensive. And even then the answer was No or later. Usually DJ was very smooth. By 18 months we had definite limits. One of which was we don't nurse out of boredom. So he couldn't come get in my lap at the computer, so he was CONSTANTLY trying to lure me into the bedroom to lay down for a nap. Like 4 times a day. Even though he only took one a day by then. One of the things I taught him was if I had time and could fit it in the next.....half hour or so was to go wait patiently for me on the couch. So if I was dealing with Laundry or was almost done on the computer, and said "yes in a minute". Then he would go sit and wait patiently on the couch for me. That was actually a really good one. Because it allowed us sessions that weren't attached to sleep, and taught him about manners and patience and seeing him sitting there reminded me that it was really important to him and made me WANT to do it without feeling resentful about HAVING TO. Ya know? So those couch sessions when he was older were very nice. He was always waiting for me on the couch when I got home from work.

Way too lazy for formula

I was nursed for 4 1/2 years and I had a weaning party and actually still remember picking the cake and how proud I was when I progressed that step. It's one of my earliest memories, and definitely a good one!
    Married to wonderful husband Chris - 2004.

Finally, after 8 years of trying, we were blessed with a beautiful Tristan - Oct 2012

Proud of my bonus son Drake - Oct, 2000

We're having so much fun

thanks all. I think I am going to wait it out a bit longer. She doesnt nurse all day and night, maybe 2-3 times a day. I am hoping that it will be her decision, and maybe then we can talk about a weaning party. I think if I talk about it now she will resist and it will make things worse. We have brought it up, especially DH and DS...about when baby comes he will need to nurse more then her, and she gets very clingy. I dont want to force her. If its only a few times a day, I will deal with it for now. MAYBE by 4 1/2 she will decide its time????
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

That's when DJ weaned. 4.5 years old.

Way too lazy for formula