Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change of events

Default Change of events

I just posted recently about my 22 month old nursing like a newborn well now we have a change of events....My 22 month old has stopped nursing from one boob. Lastnight she wanted to nurse and she dry heaved when she started to nurse. All day today she has not nursed from that boob. It is really engorged. I offered that boob to her and she refuses it, I hand expressed some in a glass and won't drink it. She has nursed from the other one though just fine. She seemed to be coming down with something lastnight, I thought maybe her nose was stuffed up why she didn't nurse all night, she tried but would just fuss and go back to sleep. She does have some chest congestion today, but I've always had nursing to take care of her, now she barely had any. I have no idea what's going, never had a problem nursing her. I have no idea what to do, is there something wrong with my milk, is she weaning? Help please. Sorry this is all over the place, I feel bonkers.

Default Re: Change of events

If that breast has been filling up all day, the milk may have gotten salty, which might explain why your LO won't eat from that side. (The longer milk sits unused, the more salty it gets; there's a technical explanation for this which I cannot recall at this moment.) I'd try draining it via hand expression or pump, and see if that restores your LO's willingness to nurse from that side. You could also try different positions and see if that makes it easier for baby to nurse on that side- perhaps she can't breathe when lying on one side, or maybe her ear hurts when she's on that side, and that's why she's reluctant to nurse off that breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have no idea if it's a nursing strike or if it's weaning? She has never refused to nurse. I don't even know what to do if she was weaning?

P.s. Thanks for your reply!!!