Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take to see an increase????

Default How long does it take to see an increase????

I am doing everything I can!!

I have a 3.5 month old DD, and I returned to work yesterday. Over last weekend my lo started wanting to nurse every 2 hours and quit sleeping well at night. I assumed it was a little growth spurt and was normal, and I would adjust to her demand. She is becoming increasingly fussy at the breast as well.

Yesterday she got 2 bottles at daycare, one was 5 oz and the other was 4.5oz. Over the same time I only pumped 7oz. I pump every 2 hours for 15-20 min and I only get 1.5oz from both breasts. (I only get 0.5oz on the left, and 1oz on the right). I immediately increased my water intake to over 4 liters a day. Today, I started taking Fenugreek 3x/day and drinking mother's milk tea 4x/day. If I drink any more fluid I am going to float away!! In the evenings I started cluster feeding, and I nurse DD every hour or so until she goes to sleep. She wakes every 3 hours to nurse at night.

I asked daycare to try and see if she will go longer than 3 hours between feedings and give smaller portioned bottles. Today daycare gave one 4oz bottle and one 3.5oz bottle, but I only got 6oz today. So far today I have nursed/pumped 7 times and will probably nurse at least 3 more times tonight. I am doing everything that I have read on kellymom and LLLi website.

Also, I don't have hardly any stock in the freezer. I had a hysterectomy in November and I had to use a bunch of it. Plus, prior to surgery, I easily pumped 3-4 oz when I needed to pump. Post-hysterectomy, I almost lost my supply completely. I thought it was just stress from surgery but now I'm not sure my supply ever really recovered.

So how long will it take to see an increase, or am I doomed ?? Sometimes I worry that the hysterectomy completely screwed up my system
    Proud Mama to Caleb
    Born on my Birthday Sept. 19, 2006
    6 lbs 15 oz

Proud Mama to Evie
    Born 9/25/12 4 weeks early
    5lbs 6oz

Default Re: How long does it take to see an increase????

Your pumping time and frequency sound good (although some moms find they need somewhat longer sessions), but I agree your pump output is low. What kind of pump are you using? Is it new? Are you doing hand compressions? Do you get a second letdown?

I use a medala pump in style advanced. I had it with my first child. I was using this pump in October when my dd was still in the nicu and I was getting good output. I haven't been getting second letdowns while pumping at work. I know I used to get second letdowns. I double pump and try to massage my breasts while I pump. Today, DD had 3.5 oz every 3.5 hours which seems much more reasonable than yesterday. And in 4 pumps I got 6.75oz. So we almost broke even.
    Proud Mama to Caleb
    Born on my Birthday Sept. 19, 2006
    6 lbs 15 oz

Proud Mama to Evie
    Born 9/25/12 4 weeks early
    5lbs 6oz

Pumps wear down, if you used this pump with your first baby and were pumping a lot while this baby was in the nicu that could be a problem. First thing to try is to replace the replaceable parts. Start with replacing the white membranes. If still having problems, move on the replacing the yellow parts, flanges etc. If that doesn't fix it, have to consider whether the motor might be wearing down. You can try to call Medela to troubleshoot.