Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building a freezer stash

Default Building a freezer stash

My daughter is 3 weeks old and nursing every 3-4 hrs like a champ. I go back to work in 2 months and want to build a freezer stash. I nursed her this morning and them pumped a little over an hour later getting 2 oz.

How often do you think I should be pumping? I was thinking 2-3 time a day until I get a good amount stored. Also, I was going to freeze each bag with 4 oz. that's sufficient, yeah?

Default Re: Building a freezer stash

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamarana View Post
    My daughter is 3 weeks old and nursing every 3-4 hrs like a champ. I go back to work in 2 months and want to build a freezer stash. I nursed her this morning and them pumped a little over an hour later getting 2 oz.

How often do you think I should be pumping? I was thinking 2-3 time a day until I get a good amount stored. Also, I was going to freeze each bag with 4 oz. that's sufficient, yeah?
    I personally wouldn't pump that often -- depending on a lot of factors it could drive you into oversupply. You really don't need a huge stash going back to work -- maybe 1-2 days supply and then you'll be pumping fresh each day (I assume).

I'm going back to work in 2 weeks and I pump 1 time a day, one breast only. I've got a bit of an oversupply right now, so depending on whether it's my more or less producing breast I get 2-4 ozs. I think freezing in 2 or 4 oz increments is fine.

Personally, I find pumping to be a necessary drag. As long as everything is going well, I would delay doing it as much as possible. You'll get really tired of it while your working. I'd take this time to just nurse and enjoy your baby.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I hate pumping, but it's a necessary evil. I want to try and have enough frozen now I case the hubby and I actually go out for dinner or something.

And yes, I'll be pumping several times a day at work. I wish I didn't have to and I could just bring her to work with me, but that's not feasible. Alas.

I agree with the PP, pumping 2-3 x/day just to build up a freezer stash is probably too much and will mess with your supply. If you don't have an issue with oversupply already, that much extra pumping might create one, and that's no fun. And you probably won't need that much milk in your freezer. I would suggest just trying to pump 1x/day. I did that for the last month of my maternity leave, and I STILL ended up with more frozen milk than I needed!

I agree. Once a day pumping. That's what I did too while on maternity leave.

I am pregnant with my 1st. So this might be a dumb question... but what is wrong with having an over supply? Is it bad for the baby or just hard on the mama?

Oversupply is often accompanied by overactive letdown, which babies (especially newborns) can find hard to deal with - choking/gagging/coughing/pulling off breast etc. And it makes mamas prone to engorgement, discomfort, plugged ducts, and mastitis. On the other hand, most of that is manageable (I've had all of the above!) and the blessing of oversupply, especially for a work-outside-the-home mom, is not having to struggle to keep up with baby's milk demands. So... it has its pluses and minuses. But early on is a period where mamas are more prone to oversupply issues, even if they don't go on to continuing oversupply, so that's why it's better not to go crazy with the pumping in the early weeks unless a mama is specifically trying to combat low supply (for example, due to early formula supplementation).