Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby lost weight

Default Baby lost weight

Okay, I could use some serious encouragement and advice. I'm feeling beside myself right now. I just had my eight month old son weighed, and he weighed 17 lbs, 3 oz. He weighed over 18 pounds the last time I had him weighed three weeks ago. Granted, that was a different scale. But there has never been that big of a discrepancy between these two scales before. So basically, baby lost weight.

I'm feeling awful that I didn't notice it before, and I'm freaking out about what caused this. I feed on demand, but DS is so busy that it's hard to get him to slow down long enough to eat. We're meeting with the ped tomorrow, and I'm afraid she's going to tell me to supplement with formula. I really don't want to do this. Is this my only option? What else can I do? I'm feeling like such a failure and don't know what to do.

Default Re: Baby lost weight

I would think that you could always offer the breast more often, rather than using formula. Even if he only does micro nursing sessions, adding in a bunch more would add extra calories. And what about adding in sessions at night and dreamfeeding him?

I will try to offer more often during the day. I offer about every two hours throughout the day right now. He goes to sleep at 7. I do a dream feed about 9 and then he usually wakes up to eat about midnight and then again around 4. He definitely eats more at night, but should I be trying to pack more sessions in at night too? I'll do it if that might help.

First, ******hugs*******. Second don't worry (I know thats not what you want to hear) it happens and it's normal. Yes you can increase your frequency here and there but he will regain. Also, like adults their bodies can fluctuate. Do you ever use a bottle? If so leave one over night and double cream (use the fat that floats to the top in a fresh bottle when someone else gets to do the feeding (do not skip a nursing session to do this as its much more beneficial directly from you. Keep in mind if hes active he's burning more calories. You are the momma-you pay the doctor-he works for you. As with all advice listen and respond according to your gut no one knows your baby better than you! I'm sure all is well continue to do what you are doing. If he continues to lose that would raise a flag but one month should just be something to watch. Lots of support and encouragement you are doing a great job!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! Doctor did indeed suggest supplementing with formula. Which in turn made me cry. But he actually lost less than I thought - more like six ounces. Still upsetting, but not as devastating as a whole pound.

So here's my plan: I'm offering the breast more often (like every hour), I'm pumping every two hours, I'm drinking lactation tea, and tomorrow I'll make lactation cookies. I'm doing breast compressions when I feed him, and I'm increasing the number of dream feeds. Is there anything else I could/should be doing? We agreed to check in again in a week, and if he hasn't gained well I said I would supplement then. I really, really don't want to have to do that. But I would feel awful if he's really hungry and I'm not meeting his need. Any other ideas for making sure we get back on the right track ASAP?

The only other thing I can think of is to review your birth control choices. If you're on hormonal contraception, that could be negatively impacting your supply or preventing it from rebounding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have the copper iud, so that's not an issue.

But I did some research and discovered that the unisom I took for sleep (a half a tab during baby's longest sleep stretch) was probably reducing my pro-lactin. I've stopped taking it, and I'm doing everything I can think of to increase my supply (nursing as much as possible, pumping, drinking mother's milk tea, eating lactation cookies). Baby is nursing a lot. Basically 20-30 min every hour and a half throughout the day and three times at night. I feel like he's getting more, but he still doesn't have many wet diapers, and when I pump I get nothing.

So I'm wondering how long it should take to increase my supply. Is it not going to bounce back? I'm afraid we're weaning. That would break my heart.

There is no good answer to the "when" question. It's just too variable from mom to mom. But you can be assured that your supply can bounce back at any point, provided you get the proper stimulation (nursing, pumping) and provided there are no physical barriers (pregnancy, thyroid problems, hormonal contraception) standing in the way of increasing your supply.

If your baby is still nursing enthusiastically, you are not weaning. As long as the baby will nurse, you are nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear! He is still quite enthusiastic. Yesterday I was trying to get his attention while he was playing on the bed. I took one breast out, and his eyes lit up! He grinned and came crawling over with a mission. I'll try to relax and not freak out too much. Thanks again!