Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush...how to know for sure?

Default Thrush...how to know for sure?

Ok so I am on meds and being treated for suspected thrush [initally nipples were sore and burning on sunday night when powerpumping-but then realized the next day baby cut her first tooth...they are not sore anymore now]. I dont have any signs on my nipples but since monday, have been getting these "shock like" sensations in my breasts. they don't hurt but feel weird and catch me out of no where. its sort of pinchy and comes and goes in a matter of a split second. its random, occuring all throughout the day on and off. when my baby nurses its not painful, but my letdowns do seem stronger to the point where it feels tingly sometimes, which is new to me. I will add that I have been power pumping for over a week now, [I needed to boost my supply quickly due to frequent dips with my period coming back and being irregular] and my supply is tons better and im almost to the point of engorged daily when I wake up now. My milk has also been letting down during the day at times, even when im with my baby, when this has never happened before. [even early on when i was engorged it never happened] as well as when she cries sometimes, which also never happened before.

She is 5 months old. Has no signs in her mouth. I am on diflucan daily since monday now and using the APNO ointment on my nipples just incase if its thrush and we just caught it early. Baby is also now getting oral nystatin. Anyone ever feel anything similar or have any better ideas? I wish I could figure this out and really praying its not thrush.

Default Re: Thrush...how to know for sure?

It could be a reaction to increased supply. The higher your milk supply, the more likely it is that you're going to experience the letdown sensation, which is often described as an electrical tingling. If you've pumped yourself into some degree of oversupply- which seems possible since you're waking up engorged- that could explain the sensations you're having.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It could be a reaction to increased supply. The higher your milk supply, the more likely it is that you're going to experience the letdown sensation, which is often described as an electrical tingling. If you've pumped yourself into some degree of oversupply- which seems possible since you're waking up engorged- that could explain the sensations you're having.
    I don't think its letdown that im feeling. My letdowns last more than a second and its more of a heaviness sensation/pressure when it happens. And, I have oversupply in the beginning and I have never felt this before. Not when Breastfeeding my son either who I nursed for a year.

these feel like a zap/pinchy like sensations that come on super quick and are gone in a mili second. its the weirdest feeling. I have been talking with the Lactation Consultant at the hospital where I delivered and she seems to think its more likely ductal spasms than thrush.

I'll let you know if anything changes. thanks for your reply!

bump