Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much sweet?

Default Too much sweet?

My daughter is 8.5 months old. We started solids at home when she was just before 6 months old. At the time, she didn't express much interest in what we gave her, so we did it sporadically until she seemed more interested. For the past several weeks, she's been getting food more regularly at home, although she's mostly interested in sweeter vegetables--carrots, sweet potatoes, squash.

Any time we give her anything green (so far we've tried peas, spinach and avocado), she spits it out and looks at us like "What are you doing to me? Are you mad at me or something?"

I'm concerned that she's becoming too dependent on sweet flavors. We did try her on some fruit at home when we first started solids, but then we switched to vegetables. At the time, we were unaware that our daycare had started her on rice cereal and fruit when she turned 4 months old. She did this without informing us about it or asking or permission and we didn't find out about it until just before we stopped going there . I don't know why she was uninterested in solids at home when she was getting them at daycare, but that's what was going on. I'm concerned that getting only sweet fruits and cereal for a few months may have influenced her palate to the point that it will be hard to get her to eat things that aren't sweet.

Is this something that is normal for babies' palates, or is this something I should be concerned about? Should I just keep offering her green veggies and expect that her palate will warm up to them over time?

Default Re: Too much sweet?

YOU should eat more non sweet stuff. Breastmilk in general IS SWEET. But the flavor changes depending on what YOU eat. If you get some more savory stuff up in YOU than she should be more willing to try them.

Way too lazy for formula

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. She is still really young and just experimenting with solids. As long as you are giving her healthy options and a variety of things, I would worry about what she actually consumes. The reality is that what they are willing to eat changes--sometimes by day. My LO couldn't eat enough bananas yesterday and wouldn't touch one today. He turned his nose up at kidney beans last week and then consumed several portions of beans and rice yesterday. And, as pp pointed out, BM is sweet so I don't think you should worry that it will affect her palate. But, I would be sure that you continue to offer and model eating a variety of foods--not just "sweet" foods.

Thanks.

I don't eat much in the way of sweets now, so it's hard to cut them out. I mostly drink water and don't drink juice, soda or sweet drinks with any regularity. I don't eat desserts, candy, muffins, etc., with any regularity. In fact, I have much more of a salt-tooth than I ever have a sweet tooth. I do usually eat one to two pieces of fruit everyday. Could that cause that much of a problem?

I guess you're right evolvingmama, that it's still very early to tell. For the most part, I see what veggies we have around and then prepare something for her based on that. We did peas again this morning, but I didn't puree them, I just let her pick them up with her hands. She didn't react as negatively to them as she did to the spinach, which I admit was maybe overly ambitious. I might try them again tomorrow to see if a little more familiarity will make them more popular. She had a great time squishing them on her tray, too. I also ate them with her while we were sitting there. I figure that it can't hurt for her to see me enjoying it as well. I also did steamed broccoli the other day and that seemed acceptable to her.