Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication and Low Supply

Default Medication and Low Supply

My LO is 7 months old and is EBB so far. I am currently treated for a skin infection with an antibiotic (Doxycyclin) and chose to pump and dump for a week to be on the safer side. I am towards the end of the treatment. I feel my supply has reduced and wanted to know some ideas to boost it up so once I start nursing again, it is where we left off. I have about 5 more days to work on it. Also, since my LO is 7 months old, would the supply even come back to where it was a week ago?Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Default Re: Medication and Low Supply

Since pumps are not as good as babies at extracting milk, it might not be possible to get the supply exactly to where it was without baby nursing - but I don't think you have to worry about it not being exactly right by the time baby starts nursing again, because he will bring it back up to what he needs just by nursing on demand again. And I'm sure it can get back up to where it was, if that is what he needs - temporary dips in supply can be fixed by lots of nursing, as far as I know

Some people say eating oatmeal or taking herbs like fennel and/or fenugreek can help boost milk supply too, though. But I'd ask your doctor about the herbs first.

Good luck!

with the PP. Although IMO fennel, oatmeal and fenugreek can be used without consulting a doctor, unless you happen to be diabetic (fenugreek can, in rare instances, cause lowered blood sugar).

How many oz of milk are you getting per day, and how often are you pumping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. I am pumping about every 3 hours and the output is 2.5 oz, about a 40% drop that what I was used to seeing before.

Okay, since you're seeing a fairly significant reduction and still have several days to go before you can nurse again, I would start adding in some pump sessions. You're pumping every 3 hours, which isn't bad, but you will probably get better results if you moved to pumping every 2 hours. Milk supply depends on frequency of milk removal and also completeness of milk removal. The more drained you keep your breasts, the better it is for production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"