Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping for 1 yr baby

Default pumping for 1 yr baby

Hi lll ladies, Do any mama's here pump at work after a year, if you're continuing to nurse? Has anyone had any discrepencies at work, any thing regarding the law stating the right to pump for stated length of time after new birth? I'm wondering how you made it work for you while working, thanks

Default Re: pumping for 1 yr baby

Lots of mamas (myself included) stop pumping at a year, and nurse at home morning/evening/overnight. If you're nursing 3-5 times/24 hours baby is getting enough "dairy," otherwise you can add in cow's or goat's milk, or non-milk forms of dairy like yogurt or cheese. If you do choose to keep pumping after a year, the Affordable Care Act covers the right to pump nationwide, but it does specify a 1-year age limit and also does not cover all employees and businesses: here's a link: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...m#.UO3KXLZNIyw.
    There are also state-specific provisions.

I'm still pumping at 15 months, usually 1x a day at work, but sometimes 2x, depending on whether or not I get to pump once before leaving for work. I like my LO to have two small amounts of milk while I'm gone, at least for now. I work for the federal government and no one seems to care what I'm doing regarding pumping and how often as long as I'm getting my work done, so I'm probably not very helpful with that matter. I do think it's unfair for people to enforce a 1-year limit on a space, at least. I do try to limit pumping to my break times now, whereas when I came back to work I'd pump as much as needed. I'm much more efficient now, too, with getting everything set up and cleaned up.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

thank you for that information. also, if you had enough freezer stash to make it through the last month for the baby while you were at work, would you give up the pump early?

yes filmmommy, I agree that there should not be a limit, as long as one's work is being completed. good to hear that your job with the federal government works with you so well in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nrnmum View Post
    thank you for that information. also, if you had enough freezer stash to make it through the last month for the baby while you were at work, would you give up the pump early?
    With my second baby, I cut back to just one pumping session in the last month for just that reason. With this baby, I again have tons in the freezer (enough to last past a year), and I'm attempting to cut back on pumping (but haven't been very successful so far!).