Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping again - some questions

Default pumping again - some questions

I am currently at home on maternity leave with my DS who is now just over two months. I wanted to start pumping to have a little stash for when I need to leave him with DH or a sitter if I need to go out.

I didn't have very good results pumping last time, I had low supply issues and didn't seem to respond well to the pump.

When is the best time of day to pump? And should I then pump every day at that time? If I pump after I feed my DS, what is a good output of milk when pumping this way?

Also if - am away from DS should I pump while I'm out so my body doesn't negatively react to the missed feeding?

Also, can I put together a few days milk in a storage bag in fridge, and then freeze on say the 5th day?

Also how much milk should I leave for my DS for each hour that I'm away?

My DS nurses on demand really well lol. He eats all.the.time!! At first I think I had major over supply, I had clogged ducts in my armpit when my milk first came in, but it has now evened out well.

Thanks for your help!

Mirkka
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Default Re: pumping again - some questions

hi there.

what made you think you had low supply last time mama? pumping doesnt remove milk as well as a baby and many woman need time to get into a groove with pumping.

i would say to make a simple stash, pump right after your lo nurses first thing in the am. you may initially only get a very very small amount, but your body will get used to it and you may get anywhere from 1-3 oz. everyone is different though, that is just what i saw with my body. the first few times it was a few drops, very upsetting. but it got better.

when you pump, use compressions/massage on your breasts. pump for about 15 min. try to relax. i used to hand express for just a min at the end on each breast and found it super helpful, but i was pumping for work.

you can add up small volumes and mix them to store in the freezer.

just test that you do not have a lipase issue, its an enzyme many women may excess of that can alter the taste of the milk over time. i had the issue and the milk i froze ended up tasting yucky. so i had to heat my milk a specific way before freezing. the way to test is simply to leave it in the fridge a few days and taste it periodically. if it taste odd let us know and we can help. i just mention it because its super upsetting to work hard to get the milk, freeze it, then find out you had the issue.

and yes i would pump while youre lo is getting a bottle. if its only once in awhile it may not be an issue though.

about 1-1.5 oz per hour away from mama.

hope that helps.

Big help!! Thanks!!

Last time my DD didn't latch well, and I didn't understand enough about bfing to realize that in the first week a baby should nurse non-stop. I didn't get into see a LC until like day 10 or more and by then DD lost lots of weight, wasn't nursing enough or well. I pumped and supplemented and took herbs and domperidone and got it back to what she needed but I was never able to pump lots. I had a pump from a friend, and now have a new one and I respond better this time so its looking much better.

So many moms have trouble and there is not enough education and support for bfing moms. But that's a whole different thread. Lol.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

keep us updated on how it goes with the pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mirkka View Post
    When is the best time of day to pump? And should I then pump every day at that time? If I pump after I feed my DS, what is a good output of milk when pumping this way?
    Like PP said, the morning is a good time. Most moms have the most milk in the morning. But if you find you feel fuller at a different time of day, pump then.

Also if - am away from DS should I pump while I'm out so my body doesn't negatively react to the missed feeding?
    Yes, if you are separated from your baby for more than a few hours, you should pump so that your body continues to get the feeding cues and maintain supply. This is especially important if the separations are a regular occurrence (like a regular work schedule).

Also, can I put together a few days milk in a storage bag in fridge, and then freeze on say the 5th day?
    Yes, just make sure you are adding cold to cold when you combine.

Also how much milk should I leave for my DS for each hour that I'm away?
    Rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 oz per hour. Of course after some trial and error you will learn your baby's habits a little more precisely

@mercystreet: Why do you have to add cold bm to cold bm? Will it go bad if it's fresh being added to cold in the fridge? I have been swirling the bottle to mix the fat back in then I add the fresh bm into the storage bag. Yikes! I hope I haven't ruined my bm.
    Mirkka

We love and love

I'm not sure of the science behind it, I just know that the general rule of thumb is to add cold to cold. Especially if you are adding fresh milk to previously frozen, because you wouldn't want the freshly pumped milk to partially defrost the previously frozen. As far as milk in liquid form, it might depend on the relative volumes of each and your personal comfort level. Unless I was adding a very small amount of fresh milk to a larger amount of previously refrigerated, I would cool first. I personally wouldn't want my already refrigerated milk coming up to a room/warm temperature due to the new warm milk added, then back down to cold again in the fridge, then later freezing ... probably wouldn't "ruin" the milk, but it's just too much temperature fluctuation for my peace of mind. I don't think what you are doing will make it "go bad." (And FWIW when I'm combining refrigerated portions to freeze, I too take them out of the fridge for 5 mins just to take the cold off before swirling the containers so that the fat will reincorporate.)

I always poured my fresh-pumped milk in with the stuff I had in the fridge and never had any issues with it. But I never froze mine, so maybe that makes a difference.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i never added fresh to frozen. even cool milk would warm frozen milk so i personally would not do that.

i dont think its a big deal to add freshly expressed milk to cool milk, although ideally you would cool it first then add it. the milk you have added to cool milk is fine.

i would recommend freezing small volumes, like 2 or 3 oz. so i am not sure how much you are combining over a five day period but try to keep it low. when you thaw milk you need to use it within 24 hrs and i have found when i froze larger volumes i ended up tossing an oz here and there and that just drove me crazy!.

hope the pumping is going well!