My LO will be 7 months this week, and I'm happy to say that I am still bfing. We had a rough time early on but I was/am committed to bfing. He had a tongue tie that was corrected at 1 week, but not before giving me terrible pain along with a crack and mastitis (both on the R side). After 2 months, the crack healed up. But then I used gentian violet to treat for yeast and developed a crack on the L. That was about 4 months ago and the crack still won't heal! I've been using the Jack Newman All Purpose Nipple Ointment after every nursing. Sometimes it seems as if it is healing, but then I get clearish blisters (only on this side) and the crack re-opens. Sometimes it just looks "open" for weeks at a time.

I don't know what to do. At this point, baby's latch is good and the R nipple is doing great. I stopped using the APNO for awhile and within a few days developed mastitis due to a staph infection on the left side where the crack is. Now I'm back to using it every time because I fear the open wound will cultivate bacteria if I don't. I've tried a vinegar-water solution wash after feeding (to combat potential yeast while on 2 weeks of anti-biotics for the mastitis), also tried a saline wash after feeding. I'm just really tired of having a crack. I hate having to get up after nursing, wait for the nipple to dry, apply APNO, and use a fresh disposable nursing pad (and they are expensive when you have to use 7-9 per day!). This is especially annoying at night when all I want to do is get back to bed. I don't understand why one nipple is fine, doesn't need any special cream or treatment or nursing pads (I don't leak) and the other had this annyoing crack that won't heal. It's very frustrating.

My goal is to nurse at least until he turns 1, but if the crack will heal then I may continue nursing as needed, especially at it soothes him to sleep at night.

Any suggestions? Thanks!