Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frozen breastmilk tasting funny

Default frozen breastmilk tasting funny

ok, yeah, i tasted it.
    i was mixing up some puree for baby and decided to taste to see if the food was palatable. it tasted slightly bitter. not cheesy or spoiled, just a little bitter.
    juniper hasn't really had any frozen milk yet, but come soon here, we will be introducing bottles when husband and i need a date or while i am busy nannying.
    can it get tainted? even in a deep freeze? will she still take it?
    i hope my whole supply (400 5oz bags!!!!) isn't damaged. i would be crushed! all that work down the drain.

ps, i know i'm not the only one here who has tasted it, so no judging!

Default Re: frozen breastmilk tasting funny

breastmilk does taste different than cows milk, but if its "off" it could definitely be a lipase issue.

was the milk you tasted fresh or frozen? if it was fresh, take out a bag of frozen and taste it.

there is nothing wrong with the milk but the taste. if your lo takes it then its fine. my son did not. i had to scald my milk before freezing, but not when he was getting fresh.

my fresh milk tastes fine, i tasted after i pumped yesterday.
    it is just the frozen/thawed milk that tastes not good.
    hope baby takes it! does scalding it make it taste sweet again?

No, you can't scald already frozen/bad tasting milk to make it taste sweet again. If the problem IS lipase, scalding it prevents it from going bad. Have you tried giving the bad tasting milk to LO? How did she do with it?

If she won't take it, it's worth making sure it's a lipase problem BEFORE freaking out and tossing all that stored up milk. What does it taste like when you taste it? Does it actually taste rancid or just not sweet? Have you tasted from different frozen packs to see if they taste bad?

Sometimes your milk might change taste because of something you ate and it really isn't a problem and not all your milk will taste like that. Some people note a bad taste when they use a certain brand of BM storage bag and sometimes you might just have accidentally contaminated the milk by not having a piece of equipment fully clean or something when you were packaging it up to freeze it. Or perhaps the milk you froze had been out too long/was too old when you froze it without realizing.

If it smells and tastes rancid, doesn't change by kind of bag and you are reasonably confident that no contamination could have occurred, then lipase might be your problem and if baby won't drink the bad tasting milk there isn't anything you can do to salvage what you've got frozen (though you might still be able to donate it...not quite sure about that....).

If you think it is lipase, let us know and we can give you advice on how to scald. There is also a subforum with lots of lipase information -- it's the pumping and milk storage one.

no, not rancid. just... like a bag, i guess!
    i haven't given any to her yet because she has the flu AND is teething right now, and working a bottle for the first time in 6 mos would throw her through a loop. (giving her a sippy cup with water in it a few days ago was HORRIBLE!!! how is it that confusing?!?! haha)
    i will try giving her a little in a few days.
    so what you're saying, is that scalding it will make it harmless to baby, still nutritious, but maybe just not great tasting if she takes it?

I think my milk tastes kinda funny out of the fridge/freezer and I was worried about lipase, but my baby doesn't seem to mind it. if it is a lipase thing (which as I understand it is pretty rare) scalding only helps if you do it BEFORE freezing. Let your baby try before you worry too much about it.

i dont know if i would say the lipase issue is rare. i feel like many women find out they have it. i was surprised i did.

pp is correct about scalding only helping with taste if its done before freezing. and shes right about not worrying right now

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizeckel View Post
    so what you're saying, is that scalding it will make it harmless to baby, still nutritious, but maybe just not great tasting if she takes it?
    No, that's not quite what I'm saying. Milk with high LIPASE makes it taste bad, but it is still good milk. Some babies will take it, other won't. If you have a lipase problem and baby will NOT take the milk, then scalding can help, as a preventatve step with expressed milk, to stop the milk from tasting bad.

But to be clear, you may or may not have a lipase problem. If you do NOT have a lipase problem, there would be no reason to scald the milk. If you DO have a lipase problem (and she won't drink the milk when it tastes bad) then you can scald the milk BEFORE it starts to taste bad. This will stop the milk from starting to taste bad. But, heating BM is not ideal as it does cause the milk to loose some of its good properties. I have lipase and scald because my baby won't take it when it tastes bad and because I think that slightly less beneficial BM is still better than formula.

It does not, however, sound like you have lipase. Sounds more like you are just using a bag that is perhaps not the greatest (you described the taste as "like a bag." My milk, after about 17 hours, smells and tastes rancid, like vomit, to the point that neither DH nor I can even stomach the taste or a teeny tiny taste of it).

Try giving her the milk when she is feeling better and see what happens. If she takes it, end of story. If she doesn't, maybe try a new brand of bag (I hear double zipper ones are really good, perhaps someone can mention an specific brand as I use a brand you can only get in the UK). If that doesn't help, then you might want to think more about the possibility of lipase.