Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek Results - # of Oz

Default Fenugreek Results - # of Oz

Started taking fenugreek on Sunday. Looking for others to share the number of ounces they saw their production increase using the supplement. See everywhere reference to increase supply but am wondering what that equals in terms of amont.

Right now, I'm pumping 13 oz a day over four pumps. Hoping to get that up to 15-18oz. DD weight has dropped from 50% (2-month) to 10% (4-month) and I'm getting the full court press to have more to feed her when I'm at work.

TIA

Default Re: Fenugreek Results - # of Oz

I never felt that fenugreek alone was enough to give me a supply boost that could be measured in ounces. For that, I found that nothing was more effective than more nursing or more pumping. Sorry if that's a bummer!

13 oz is a pretty good amount to be pumping. How long are you separated from baby each day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was pretty responsive to fenugreek (I felt a supply increase within 24 hrs on a minimal dosage, although for some women it takes more pills and a longer time to take effect). But it's hard to quantify in ounces. I was using it to get us through a growth spurt when baby was ravenous and my pump output was a low and the DCP needed above average amount of milk, so the fenugreek only brought my output back to my "normal" amount. Then when the growth spurt was done, I stopped taking it.

18 oz per day is a lot to aim for. I only got 18 oz per day from the pump when I still had a slight oversupply situation! Can you tell us why are you getting pressure to feed her more while you're at work? If the pressure to feed more is based on the percentile change, is it possible to nurse more when baby is with you? It's so much easier to get more milk into baby by nursing more frequently, than it is to get more milk from the pump.

I'm gone ten hours a day. I pump before she gets up in the AM and have three 15 minute pumping sessions at work.

I've consistently pumped 13oz daily since I've been back at work for 6 weeks.

I'm getting pressure to produce more because her percentile of weight has decreased. She essentially has only gained one pound in two months I have to take her back on the 24th for another weight check. I know between the pediatrician and my dh I'm going to pushed to provide formula if she's not any heavier.

The only thing that I find confusing is that my dd is sleeping through the night. If she was being starved don't you think she'd organically wake for a night feed???

Anyhoo, this whole thing has been super frustrating as I'm working my tail off to ebf.

You say she's sleeping through the night ... For how long do you mean? Like zero night wakings?

I took a combination of fenugreek and blessed thistle a few months ago after my supply had tanked due to an illness. Pumping 3x a day, I saw an increase from 7oz to 11-12oz. I stopped taking the herbs after about two weeks and my supply remained 11oz for a few months, and slowly dropped, and now I've got more pills on order so hopefully I see that same increase the second time around........
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Also, I should add that my son also had a big decrease in percentile from his 2mo appointment (23rd percentile) to his 4mo appointment (4th percentile). He has stayed in the 4th percentile since then and his pediatrician says it's fine. As long as your daughter follows her own curve and is meeting milestones, she's fine!

13oz while you are away should be fine! I'd also recommend adding in a night pumping session after your little one goes to bed. For example, my son goes to sleep at 8pm and usually doesn't wake for a feeding until 2am - so I pump at 11pm before I hop in bed to get an extra 1-2oz.

Good luck!!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)