Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Feeding and Working Full Time- Please share!

Default Breast Feeding and Working Full Time- Please share!

First forum post and I am wondering about the other momma's out there as well

I am a teacher so I work full time. Leave my house about 6:45 and get home around 4:00. Here is DD schedule (she is 5 months old).

5:00-5:30 Nurse before mom leaves.
    7:30 6 oz. Bottle of Breast milk
    9:00 Nap
    11:00 6 oz. Bottle of Breast milk
    1:00 Nap
    2:00 5 oz. Bottle of Breast milk
    5:00 Nurses
    6:30 1 oz. Breastmilk with Oatmeal
    7:00 Nurses
    7:30 Bath
    8:00 Nurses a little and then falls asleep

She usually wakes again anywhere between 11 and 1. But after that it seems like she wakes up every 2 hours and wants to latch on but doesn't eat much unless she causes a let down. Is this common.

Also, when i pump, I pump every two hours and I get 3 oz. of milk. Is this not enough for when I am nursing? I am afraid she wont get enough on weekends when I am strictly nursing.

She has cut both her bottle teeth within the last week and she has been latching/unlatching/latching and so on. While she looks around and then goes back to eating. Tell me this is common please! I breastfed my son but he didn't cut teeth till 10 months.

Please share your stories and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Default Re: Breast Feeding and Working Full Time- Please share!

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your LO is getting plenty of milk. The average breastmilk intake is about 19-30 oz per day (see this reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/) and your baby is getting 17 oz from the bottle, an additional 1 oz mixed with cereal, and then you're nursing 4 times per day in addition to all that. In fact, I have to wonder if your baby is being overfed from the bottle- many breastfed babies never take more than 2-4 oz from the bottle, and require just 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

Your pump output is fine. 1.5 oz per hour = 3 oz every 2 hours, which is exactly what you're getting. And because your pump is probably not as good at removing milk from the breast as your baby is, your baby probably gets more than 3 when she nurses on the weekends.

The night- waking you are experiencing is 100% normal for a baby this age. Babies have short sleep cycles and often require help from a caregiver in order to get back to sleep. When the caregiver is mom, the baby will naturally seek to nurse or at least latch on as part of her getting-back-to-sleep routine.

You can pretty much expect funny nursing behavior any time your baby is cutting teeth. Babies in the 4-6 month age range also tend to be very distractable, which can lead to lots of latching/unlatching/looking around during nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Breast Feeding and Working Full Time- Please share!

Hi there -- my LO (6-mos) has same sleep cycle as yours! She'll do one long 4-5 hour stretch and then its every 2 hours after that. I did notice at night she's comfort sucking and only really drinks if I letdown. Your pumping output is AWESOME! Great job! I wish I could pump that much.. it's normally 3 oz every 3 hours (I'm gone for 11 hours total w/ commute time and bring home 9-10 oz pumped). I know how hard it is be pumping and working all day so kudos to you! My baby girl only eats about 2 oz at a time tho so your LO has a good appetite. She's also super distracted when she feeds. She learned to turnover recently and now constantly pulls off to practice her new move. No teeth yet tho but most likely soon with the amount of droool going on. I'm glad someone else is going through the same things as me... thanks for your post!

ps--if LO is distracted during bedtime nursing, I found that if I shut off all the lights and close the doors (to eliminate sounds) she focuses much better on nursing and sleeps much faster...