Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night

Default Sleeping through the night

Hi there! My baby is almost 11 weeks old and gaining lots of weight (14.5lbs) and for the last few days started sleeping for 7 hours straight. I returned to work last week- 4 days in a row 10 hours a day. When I wake up i the morning to feed I am so full. She barely empties one breast so I have to pump to empty them before I go to work. At work I pump twice- 10oz the first one and about 5oz the 2nd (she eats about 10oz when I'm away). I want to BF for a year. My question is should I pump in the middle of the night, feed her before I go to work, pump twice at work, then she usually cluster feeds before bed? Or should I sleep the 7 hours, feed her, pump before work... and so on? On our 3 days off together she feeds about every 2 hours or so. I want to keep my supply up what's the best way to do this? Any input would help! Thank you!

Default Re: Sleeping through the night

It sounds like you have a large storage capacity and an abundant supply - in fact right now you have something of an oversupply, because you have an extra 5 oz per day. So you probably don't need to get up in the middle of the night to pump, but keep a close eye on things, and if your daytime pump output starts dropping off, and she's still sleeping those long stretches at night, then add back in a nighttime dream feed or pumping session.

Default Re: Sleeping through the night

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    you probably don't need to get up in the middle of the night to pump, but keep a close eye on things, and if your daytime pump output starts dropping off, and she's still sleeping those long stretches at night, then add back in a nighttime dream feed or pumping session.
    Exactly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"