Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast refusal :-( - seeking help & support

Default Breast refusal :-( - seeking help & support

Hi,

I will try to keep it short. My daughter is 3.5 months old and we have had a successful breastfeeding relationship and it is only recently problems started emerging. Due to preference, my right breast has been her primary source of nourishment. However, the let down in my right breast got too fast and she began to refuse it after a couple of attempts - still frustrated with the letdown. We tried the football hold which seemed to work for a while...

I have the letdown mostly under control now but she won't even attempt to latch on to my right breast...I think she has some negative association with it...

I need help - some good advice on how to get her to take it again. My heart is broken...

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Default Re: Breast refusal :-( - seeking help & support

So is she feeding off the left right now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, she is eating from the left breast. Prior to this situation, she would eat only from the left breast - maybe 2-3 times a day. It has now increased to 5-6 times a day. The problem before was that my left breast was not making enough milk - compared to my right...she rarely got satisfied eating from only the left. Since this moderate refusal started, the left side is making slightly more milk...thank goodness. However, the problem still remains that she is occasionally refusing the right breast. Sometimes when she does nurse from it, she gets cranky - upset - pulls off - etc. Note though - it's not like this all the time...

The refusal (of the right breast) generally happens in the late afternoon and evenings. She used to take it at night (during sleep - we co sleep), but now she has started to refuse it. The mornings and early afternoons are okay, not problem free, but much smoother than the evenings.

How can I teach her to nurse her from the right boob again? What can I do? What is going on?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and share your thoughts on the matter.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by @llli*sophiaporridge; January 8th, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Okay, as long as she's nursing things can't be too bad! Best thing to do is to be patient. Offer the left first, and then let her take the right if she's still hungry. She's trying to even out your production by giving more stimulation to the underperforming breast. If the flow from the right is really troublesome, try leaning way back when you nurse on that side. Gravity should help slow the flow of milk to the baby, making nursing more comfortable for her. And try different positions- side-lying, reclined, football, etc. Your baby may simply have a bad association with one particular position.

The evening crankiness is pretty normal. When a baby is tired and gearing up for her first long stretch of nighttime sleep (and by "long" I mean "as little as a couple of hours" ) she's going to have a lot less patience for nursing obstacles. Just be patient, keep offering, and eventually she's going to get over this!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi there!

Ya - she is nursing - I just get so saddened (and frustrated) to see that she can't eat when she is hungry. I truly enjoy our nursing relationship and am focused on making it as good of an experience for her as possible. It's been a rewarding journey.

Thanks for the info and words of advice. It is truly helpful and reassuring.

I had a similar situation with my little girl, but it was on either side when my flow was really fast and pressured (mainly my left). I think she may have had heartburn, gas, or swallowed air. I would unlatch her, lie her on her side and jiggle, then try to burp her before relatching. We also tried semethicone gas drops and gripe water to see if that helped (I didn't notice much difference). I also did football hold and leaned back a bit to have gravity help lessen the flow. Now I have to bounce with her on an exercise ball (or stand up and bounce with her) sometimes just to get her to latch on and keep nursing (she's almost 9 mos). I think the bouncing movement is distracting and comforting to any pains she may be having (gas, heartburn, etc). Lastly, it helps if I get her really sleepy before latching (rocking and walking/bouncing with her in a dark room) and this also works like a charm. I get a good workout every feeding, it's exhausting the things we do for our fussy eaters!

could you post this topic in the the oversupply forum? i think you'll get an even bigger response.
    good luck!

Hi there - thank you so much for sharing your techniques ! Ya - the things we do for our LOs.

The good news is that the issue has been resolved - supply is more balanced now (except for some pre nursing expression from the right side) and fast let down more manageable. What's interesting is that all of this coincided with a spreading stomach flu...(aha moment!) which would explain her unusually LONG nap schedule of recent, spitting up, foaming... I have had a LOT more time to myself. So many things hit us all at once...and now I think we are on the way towards balance again.

Thanks to all of you on this forum. I truly enjoy the energy of meeting here. A meeting place of intelligent and understanding mothers.