Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for pumping without a private space?

Default Ideas for pumping without a private space?

Hi pumping mamas. My division at work is having an all day retreat next week off-site. Even though my workplace is overall quite breastfeeding friendly, my coworkers who planned the retreat forgot about my need for pumping accommodations when booking a location and planning the agenda. This off-site location doesn't have any private areas with electric outlets that I can use -- there is one conference room reserved for our group for the day, and other than that I could use a classroom that has one wall that is top to bottom windows facing the parking lot ... I'm not even sure if the door locks. Can you guys think of any ways I can make that work comfortably and modestly? (They don't even have any single user bathrooms, just communal ones with stalls, so I don't think that would work for my PISA ... I'm not relishing the idea of pumping standing at the sink in a public restroom!) I do have a backup option a short drive away, but it would force me to miss more of the activities, because the breaks in the agenda are pretty short (not even long enough to cover my pump session, let alone driving to/from). So it would be ideal if I could stay on site. How would you handle it?

Default Re: Ideas for pumping without a private space?

If I were in your position, I'd probably suck it up and use the classroom, and just try to position myself so I'm not baring all to the parking lot, and put a sign on the door/brace a chair against it to avoid someone walking in on you.

WSS and bring a nursing cover, hands free setup, etc... .

I had this happen for a conference I attended, all day big hotel lost of different corporations, I had to pump in a communal bathroom with a couch/sitting area.... surrounded by other professional women attending the same conference.... some of them shot me dirty looks, others were pissed that I was using a perfectly good outlet when they needed it for the laptop they were using!!!

it was 3 days and I survived, not ideal but I HAD to pump, i had only been back to work for 2 months.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    some of them shot me dirty looks, others were pissed that I was using a perfectly good outlet when they needed it for the laptop they were using!!!
    That's awful!!!

I like the idea of putting a sign on the door. Maybe I could break out one of my old maternity cardigans -- it's probably big enough to wrap across the front of my pump bra, so that just in case I get interrupted, I'm somewhat shielded.

LOL @ the professional women being jealous of your outlets! Laptop plugs can be a hot item!

I have pumped standing in the bathroom before a couple times when I had no other choice - not ideal but liveable if it's just one day. Another idea is to pump in the car with a nursing cover - I think you can get a car adaptor for the PISA (not totally sure) or with the battery pack (which I have used with my PISA). Or in the classroom with a cover, but if you don't have a cover or poncho, maybe you can borrow a big jacket from DH and drape over your front? Or pump in the classroom with your back to the windows and put a sign on the door saying "Meeting in progress, do not enter" (or something along those lines). Ugh, I always get stressed out about how I'm going to pump in these situations, but have always figured out one way or another to get around it!

A binder wedged under the door works great to keep from being interrupted behind unlocking doors if they swing in.

When I've attended all day conferences, I simply pumped in my car using the battery pack for the PISA. It was actually quite comfortable and easier than a bathroom. I could listen to music on the radio and eat a snack. I didn't bother with a nursing cover, and instead just used a towel. It was also nice to leave the pump in the car rather than lug it around all day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    A binder wedged under the door works great to keep from being interrupted behind unlocking doors if they swing in.
    Great tip!

Thanks for the support and suggestions ladies. I feel more confident now that I can make this work. Thanks!

I agree that the car might be the best option. But when I've been in a pinch, I've pumped in a bathroom stall using a PISA with the battery pack. My PISA is the backpack-style so I could just put it on my back and reach around to turn it on. No ideal, but it got the job done and it was just one day...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135