Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My son LOVES solids and is drinking less milk (I think)

Default My son LOVES solids and is drinking less milk (I think)

My little boy is 9 months old and 16lbs (1st-3rd percentile). He's small and has always been small (he was full term and weighed 5lbs 15oz)

We nurse "on demand" when we are together and he is offered 3 bottles in the 9 hours we are apart on work days (4 days/week). So in a 24 hour period he drinks mama's milk about 6-7 times (1-2 of those times are in the middle of the night).

At night, he nurses GREAT!! He sleeps in his crib, in his own room and I'm fairly certain the only reason he wakes up is because his tummy is hungry. We nurse and he goes right back to sleep.

We started doing baby led solids around 6.5 months old and he has caught on like a champ. For such a little guy, he sure eats a lot! But during the day he has become SO DISTRACTED at the breast and at the bottle. He takes mini sips, and pulls away and then comes back for another mini sip. It's completely obnoxious and he always does it during day feedings. His daycare sends home the milk he doesn't drink (I send 8-10oz, whatever I pumped the previous day), and he regularly is leaving 2+ oz in at least one bottle.

I have always planned to breastfeed him until he was 2 and I want do to everything to ensure he doesn't completely wean. He wants solids whenever they are in sight, and unless it's unsafe or completely unhealthy, we give them to him.

I guess what I am asking is - Am I ruining our breastfeeding relationship by letting him eat as much solids as he wants? Or is this normal for a 9 1/2 month old? Am I over thinking this? I want him to stay my baby!!!

Default Re: My son LOVES solids and is drinking less milk (I think)

I should add that I'm fairly certain he is not teething

Nine months is prime time for business and/or nursing strikes leading to baby nursing less. The mistake many moms make is assuming this means baby is weaning themselves. Almost never is this the case. Plus starting solids can sometimes be a tricky time for milk production and making sure baby is getting enough milk. So it's smart to be thinking about this stuff before it becomes a problem.

There are many ways to encourage a baby to nurse more often, which is what I would suggest. Keeping a very distracted baby at the breast for long can be hard, but encouraging more nursing sessions (not a ton more, just a little more) is often more doable. There is no reason to wait for a cue to nurse. Offer when you feel like it. Also when you are with baby, try to nurse or at least offer prior to giving baby any solids, and suggest your caregiver do the same with the bottle. That will help prevent baby filling up on solids, when he is still young enough that he really requires the nutritional density of breastmilk.

I have seen 'baby led' defined many different ways. What is baby eating and how is he eating it?

Good article for encouraging nursing http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Thank you for your reply and great suggestion. I have gotten so many suggestions from people from my pregnancy group that just seem so impossible (one mom suggested that I nurse or pump TWELVE times a day -- I guess if I count every time my son latches and unlatches as a nursing session, I'll have nursed him about 100 times a day).

Adding in one or two nursing sessions is definitely something I can do, as well as always feeding EBM or nursing before offering solids. I used to always nurse him as soon as we got home after picking him up from daycare, but lately, when I pick him up, he has a mostly-full bottle in his hand. I assume that he does not want to nurse as soon as we get home because of that. I can definitely add that nursing session back in and it would assure he is getting more nutrients.

Our son self feeds and refuses any help we offer. If I come towards him with a spoon in my hand, he will pinch his lips closed and turn his head away from me, but if I give him the same spoon and let him hold it and feed himself, he will happily make a giant mess and eat a little food. Generally we put 3 or 4 pieces of different foods on his try during meal times, he eats when we eat. He eats everything- fruits, vegetables, chicken, ground beef (like meatballs), pasta, cheese, olives, shredded wheat, crackers, etc. Mostly just variations of what we are eating (if we are having tacos, for instance, I take the meat I will give to the baby out before adding seasoning).

He usually eats with his hands, but sometimes I will offer him oatmeal or greek yogurt or occasional a pureed food like apple sauce on a spoon (I fill the spoon before giving it to him). It results in a bigger mess so I shy away from it unless I have time to bath him afterwards.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

You are welcome! I asked about the solids as I have talked to moms who thought 'baby led' meant, adult keeps spooning in purees until baby actively refuses. That can lead to overfeeding solids as it requires little effort from baby and is like a game.

I don't know where the nurse/pump 12 times a day suggestion stems from. That would be for a mom who is re-lactating or something. (or a mom with a newborn.) Certainly it's normal for a 9 month old to nurse that often, but many do not nurse nearly that much and that is also normal and fine.

this does not apply precisely to your questions. but I think this is a helpful read for working moms and their baby's caregivers.
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Turns out he IS teething!! At least now I have somewhat of an explanation His first two teeth poked through yesterday!

Thanks again for all your help!