Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: STTN at 8 weeks

Default STTN at 8 weeks

My DD has started STTN already- or at least she has the past few nights. (And by that I mean 7+ hour stretches.) I actually woke her up just now after 7 hours because I was so much in pain. She has been a great sleeper from day one- I was waking her up after 3-4 hours the first few days I brought her home. My ped told me at the 2 week appt I could stop waking her since she was gaining well and she soon went to 5 and 6 hour stretches, now 7+. Anyway, my question is will this affect my supply? I nurse frequently during the day, usually not going more than 3 hours at most- I'm a SAHM and she doesn't get a bottle at all. Should I just let her sleep even if the stretches start getting longer? Never had to deal with this before- DS didn't STTN once until 11 or 12 months.

Default Re: STTN at 8 weeks

Yes, you can safely let her sleep. She'll make up for what she's missing at night with her daytime feedings, and your supply will adjust so that you make more milk during the day and less at night, when it's not needed. If your LO starts waking again- and she probably will- she'll quickly boost your supply back up with her increased demand.

Just one thing to note: consistently going long stretches (6 hours or more) without nursing increases the odds that your fertility will return. If you've been relying on breastfeeding for contraception, you can no longer consider that to be providing effective protection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! I guess I just needed some reassurance since this is unusual to me. My DS did go through the 4 mo sleep regression, going from a couple night wakings to every hour or 2, so I am prepared for that to happen. Guess I will just enjoy it while it lasts and hope it does.

As long as baby is still nursing at least 8 times a day, I agree, it is probably fine from a milk intake standpoint, assuming weight gain has been normal.

Sometimes in the modern world parents are doing things that encourage 'unnaturally' long sleep stretches- nighttime pacifier use, baby sleeping remotely from mom, even swaddling when used as a sleep aid, can cause some young babies to sleep through their own cues. So that is just something to think about.

Personally I would not wait until I was in pain to encourage a sleeping baby to nurse. My baby was also a really great sleeper early on-and I ended up with mastitis and a giant plug. There is no reason NOT to gently rouse baby and offer the breast if you are feeling full, (your fullness is also a feeding 'cue') or simply just pick baby up or lay beside her (depending on the sleeping arrangements) and see if she will latch and nurse in her sleep. Many babies will.

Thanks for the info! I do agree, I don't want to end up with plugged ducts or mastitis- I thought about that when it was so painful this AM. We'll see if she keeps this up and maybe I will regularly wake her if she is going that long.