Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cup/syringe feeding

Default Cup/syringe feeding

I have one sore nipple that just won't heal so I am going to try expressing that side and feeding the milk to him using cup or syring and then use the other breast as normal. This is something I have never tried is it easy to do? Any advice/tips on how to do it would be appreciated.MShould I just use a bottle or will this cause nipple confusion? My baby is 5 weeks old. Thanks

Default Re: Cup/syringe feeding

Hey! I tried them all and found cup feeding really awkward - never caught on to that. But syringe feeding was OK. What I found the best was using a homemade SNS - just a feeding tube going from bottle of milk to baby's mouth while she was at the breast. Of course you'd have to use the non-sore side if the point is to not have baby nursing on that side. So be warned that it might up your supply on that side because of the increased baby-at-breast time (for me that was a good thing, but if you have oversupply issues, keep that in mind!).

We used bottles at first, but I found that they caused problems with her latch on me - she started getting lazy and trying to latch onto me like a bottle, which is why I switched to using the tube. If I could do it over, I'd avoid the bottles totally if possible.

Sorry so short, baby waking up!

Thank you for the reply. I do have an over supply problem so don't want to feed twice in a row from the good breast. Looks like we will be getting in a bit of a mess with the cup then!

Cup feeding takes practice but it can work really well. I think this video shows cup feeding nicely, and I am also posting a description of it I like that was written by a long time IBCLC I know.

Some will say it really does not matter-that if a baby is getting milk from any other device (with the exception of an at the breast supplementer that is being used correctly-so baby is actually suckling to get the milk) then there is the risk of nipple/flow confusion. Others think avoiding bottles if at all possible the smartest course. The fact is every baby is different and there is really no way to know. But one thing cup feeding does is it forces the parent to slow the feeding session way down (to avoid spillage as much as possible) and gives the baby more control than does typical bottle feeding.

If nothing else works well, you could try a bottle but use paced bottle feeding positioning to again, allow the feeding to be slow and baby more in control of flow and amount taken.

Hopefully your nipple will heal quickly and this will only be a temporary measure!

cup feeding-it's the 4th video from the bottom of this page http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

Some babies will slurp / lick / lip a soft warm cup of mom's warm milk and find
    it interesting ... in my experience, cup feeding works best when bb is alert, happy and playful : )

Gently - slowly - easily touching the cup to babies bottom lip and then smiling
    and nodding --- good baby ! slowly take it away and repeat. Its' important to
    show baby calm acceptance of his/her willingness to allow the cup to tough the
    lip !

Then ... when that is ok w/ baby, slowly tip the warm milk so it touches the
    baby's lip or tongue - what ever is there. Avoid pouring milk in ... then,
    smile, nod ... see how bb reacts. If it's ok w/ baby, leave the lightly touching
    cup resting gently on the bottom lip.

Repeat, with a tad bit more milk seeping onto babys lips and tongue. STOP if bb
    turns away, arches or otherwise says STOP .

OK ... may have to wait an hour or so before trying again ... No rush, no push,
    no sign of urgency .. I know this is hard - very hard - but important to avoid a
    resisting baby ...

paced bottle feeding http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf