Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: very low milk supply!

Default very low milk supply!

my situation started at birth...i had an emergency c-section and had kaya 8 days early but she didnt get enough nutrients from me so she was 4lbs 12.5oz at birth and went down to 4lbs 7oz by the time we left the hospital 4 days later...she had no vitals at delivery and was in the ICU for 4 days...i didnt get to feed her till day 3 of being there...so we took her home and she was not gaining adequate weight...so our pediatritian said to supplament her w/ formula...now at 5 weeks she has put on quite a bit of weight and looks very healthy....still small but healthy...but i dont seem to be producing enough milk to satisfy her...i have been pumping after every feeding...for 5min. and then once again before i feed her again...but every time i need to supplament her too...about 2oz per feeding of formula...i pump about a total of 3oz a day it seems like very little to me...this situation is ruining my sleep and my husbands cause i breast feed, then formula feed, then pump and then pump again...please help i dont know which way to turn!

Default Re: very low milk supply!

Congrats on your new baby.

Just want to share my experience. I had a c-section too and my baby was 4 weeks early. He was 5 lbs 8 oz. I too had to supplement with formula in the beginning. It was a pain to bf, formula and pumping. After 3 weeks, I nurse him exclusively. I know my baby was getting enough by keeping count on his wet diapers. The more I nurse, the more milk I produce. I let my baby nurse as often as he wants and as long as he wants. By doing so, it stimulates my body to produce more milk to meet his demand. On the 6th week, my milk supply shot up and I would pump around 6-8 oz per session (15 mins per session using double pumps.)

Default Re: very low milk supply!

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can offer some help.
    The more you nurse the baby the more milk you are going to make, it just might take her a while to feed to because she was small at birht.