Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is cheese ok?

Default is cheese ok?

Baby is almost 10 mo. She eats a little of whatever we are eating, and is mostly EBF. We are a cheese loving family, and share bits, and pizza recently, she just had some cheese of it. Now I'm noticing constipation. Yesterday, a little pencil like poo. She ate a little mango today. Today a tiny hardish-thick poo in the a.m., and a big hard one tonight, and she's been much more fussy than usual. I took her temp under the arm, 99. I think she might be teething, could that be it? Cut out the cheese? Should we call the doctor? Any advice is welcome.

Default Re: is cheese ok?

I was just reading through some threads in the Elimination forum (trying to get some ideas for my constipated toddler) - apparently cheese is constipating. Might want to back off the cheese for a bit and try again later. Or counteract with prunes, pears, plums, etc (again, the Elimination forum has lots of info on foods that are good for moving bowels!)

cheese (and pizza;-) is to salty. Even mild ones are too salty, their kidneys are not fully developed until 12 months and even after until about 2 years salt should be kept to a minimum.

Oh crap!! So, you don't recommend that cheese (or other foods that might have sodium) be given until after 2 yrs? I did not know this. Thank you so much for this information.

babies shouldn't be give any food with added salt until after their 1st b-day for sure. So no cheese, no pizza, and also, no bacon or pickles. After his 1st b-day we did skim milk sting cheese. Because it's every low in sodium.

Way too lazy for formula