Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: kombucha safe while nursing?

Default kombucha safe while nursing?

does anyone know? i've posted this in a few forums online, then realized i should have just asked here.

i have had 3 bottles over the past 5 days or so. i love the stuff. juniper (8 mos) has sudden, clear/neon yellow diarrhea doo-doos, starting this morning. it's like lemon gel. 6 horrible diapers like this so far, and i am freaking a little. i attribute it to the kombucha because the color of her diapers is the color of my pee when i drink the kombucha. kombucha contains like a billion B vitamins, and i'm afraid i've toxified her.

it hurts her when she poops, she cries and reaches out for me. i nursed her and gave her some motrin this morning, she seemed to feel better, but the icky diapers persisted until an hour or so ago, she had a more formed, light green/grey stool that didn't seem so painful.

i should add, that i also introduced peaches a few days ago, and she has had them for 2 of her meals up until last night.
    also, she is teething.

do we think it was the peaches, or did i murder her kidneys?
    can this stuff (b vitamin explosion) even be passed in breastmilk?

Default Re: kombucha safe while nursing?

I recently asked this same question and was guided to Dr Hale's note that it is a Level 5 - http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/discus/me...50/196929.html

I was bummed. but I am abstaining for now. My youngest is nearly a year old.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

omg now totally freaking out.

Oh, don't freak out! As far as I can tell, there might be a theoretical risk from super high levels of B3 or B6, but it sounds like you'd probably experience the side effects before your baby would. It also sounds like the L5 rating is out of an abundance of caution-- they don't know why the kombucha affected some people the way it did, so they recommend to avoid it entirely, to be on the safe side until they know more.

How is Juniper doing today?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

juniper nursed all day yesterday. i'm guessing that smart little baby wanted to stay hydrated. she slept like a LOG. and in HER CRIB!!! -but i pulled her out of the crib early in the AM because i was feeling the need to be close (shooting myself in the foot, as far as getting her to like the bed goes).
    she nursed right off this morning at 6 and pooped an hour later. orange! it was sloppy, but it was orange! just like our "normal". i'm thinking i should still keep her snacking on applesauce and bananas, but i was never so excited to see a pooped diaper in my life. she is acting her usual self, too.
    why do moms blame themselves? what is that all about? it's gonna be a loonnnggg 18 years if i can't get a hold of myself.
    anyhow, what is the "L5" rating? i've never heard of this rating system!
    and thanks, galz, for the kind words!

oh, also, does anyone have some solids ideas for us to get her poops a little more solid, without taking us to constipation realm? apples or bananas mixes with a pinch of apricot so far. she still hasn't had any dairy, so i wouldn't feel comfortable with yogurt yet.

Bananas should solidify things.

Way too lazy for formula