Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 17 months

Default 17 months

at what point does my baby stop getting nourishment from my milk? should i try and get her to eat more solids? she nurses frequently
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Default Re: 17 months

Never. How much solids is she eating?

Way too lazy for formula

Never. I know there are people out there who will claim- with straight faces, even!- that breastmilk has no nutritional value after a year. Which always makes me want to squirt them in the eye, so they can see for themselves that my milk hasn't magically transformed into water.

Just let your LO find her own way with solids. When she needs to eat more of them, she will. And keep offering a variety of healthy choices. A lot of moms fall into the trap of offering only the foods they know their child will eat, and that's a great way to end up with a picky eater.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the previous posters, but perhaps your question was less about the quality than the quantity? If so, I would say that you can trust your child to eat as they need and make up their nutrients in whatever proportion BM/solids works for them and their developing bodies.

i'll try and play catch up here she eats aaaallllll ttttthhhhheeeeee ttttiiiiimmmmeee! bottomless pit! and she still asks for "ning" whenever the urge moves her; usually 2 wash down solids.............that's why i'm curious. she's also cuttin teeth
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

thank you
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

That sounds about normal. I remember that my child went through a growth spurt around 14months and I remember thinking I was SO GLAD that I wasn't SOLELY responsible for that. BUT he was in fact still nursing 4-5 times on the days I worked and 7-10 times a day when I was off. And was eating 3 solid meals a day and at least two snacks. And I am pretty sure he was still getting an ass ton of nutrients and antibodies from my milk. Since he really wasn't drinking any cows milk at all until after his 2hnd B-day and for the most part he didn't get sick. So I'd say what you are experiencing is normal.

Way too lazy for formula

so she's normal? Great, thank you
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Never. Your body will continue to tailor your milk to your baby's specific age and needs for as long as they nurse.