Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 hour night

Default 9 hour night

So thillled for 9 hours of sleep last night but now this AM I'm totally engorged. Did I just damage my supply? I loved the sleep and she seemed to need it - can I let it happen again? Not that I'd continue to be that lucky but a girl can hope.

Baby girl 12 weeks tomorrow. I work full time - been back 2 weeks and haven't always been able to pump enough for the next day as it is.

Default Re: 9 hour night

One night of good sleep is unlikely to destroy your supply, though consistently going without stimulation for such a long period of time is likely to result in decreased supply and, quite possibly, the return of your fertility (time to review your contraception choices!). If you we're home with your baby, I'd tell you to relax and enjoy your sleep, because your baby would be able to make up for any nighttime supply decrease by feeding more frequently during the day. But since you're working outside the home and already struggling to get enough, and because the pump can't do as good a job as the baby at emptying the breast and maintaining supply, I'm going to do something awful and mean and suggest that you either wake the baby to nurse or haul out the pump for a middle-of-the night session.

Sorry! I really hate to tell a mom who is working outside the home that she shouldn't let her baby sleep... But if your goal is to keep a good supply going, frequent nursing/pumping is the best way.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; January 6th, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: iPad autocorrect spelling- wtf?!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Can you elaborate on how much milk you are pumping, how often you pump, type/age of pump, and how much your baby is being given while you are at work-also your work schedule and typical nursing frequency when with baby?

The return to work is a minefield of potential milk production issues. So I agree with mommal. One nine hour stretch of sleep is not going to hurt anything, but the fact is many working moms do find that nursing baby overnight is needed to maintain an adequate overall milk production.

Mommal - don't feel bad I figured that would be the suggestion. She probably won't do it again anyway but I will set my alarm in case.

Meg - Pumping on Medela In Style new with this babe for 15-20 mins 4 times in a 10 hr shift working 4 days a week. When weather is nicer I will go nurse her at lunch 2 days a week but then will only be able to have time to pump 2 times those days. Initally was getting 8oz but now that I am starting to relax, get into a routine, and forcing myself to drink more I'm getting 9oz (Friday was able to get 9.5oz whoot whoot). My mom watches her and she is giving her 3 - 3oz bottles = 9oz but like Friday she said she tried everything before giving her an extra 1.5oz "snack" to calm her down. I am keeping up with a freezer supply and occasionally after an early morning feeding pumping an oz.
    Nursing at home is usually every 2 hours sometimes she will nap and go 3 hours but rarely. Had been doing that through the night too but this last 3-4 days she is going 4-5 hours at night then that long stretch last night. I figured 4-5 hours was okay especially those nights when she cluster feeds all evening before bed which she was doing nightly before she started this longer night sleeping so I think she had a little growth spurt.

OK It sounds like you are doing quite well with the nursing and pumping frequency. I love your plan to nurse baby during the day, even if it means eliminating a pumping session. It sounds as if your mom is feeding your baby responsively and is not overfeeding that I can see, in fact I wonder if 9 ounces over 10 hours is quite enough? A baby needs *about* 25 ounces total per day. It may be completely fine as long as baby continues to nurse alot when with you. I would a agree, the 4-5 hour stretch once a day is fine, but the longer stretch I would be a little concerned about.

Your pump output may continue to increase at least a bit as you get into the swing of things, I am sure the pump forum here and kellymom have a bazillian ideas for increasing pump output, which actually sounds pretty normal but it's hard to pump enough for such long shifts.

I know I wondered if 9oz was enough too but besides that one day of 10.5 oz she has been satisfied according to my mom. I told my mom if I pump more than te 9oz to feel free to offer it but with only pumping 9oz I hate to encourage her to give her more. Everything I read says 1.5oz per hour which is more than what she's taking but I din't know how to figure that really. I mean I nurse her at 7am then right away at 5-5:30 when I pick her up so I know 7-5 is 10 hours but if you figure 2 hours between feedings then it really is from 9-5? She seems chubbier but It has been a few weeks since I weighed her so I should maybedo that this week.
    It's just hard being a working mom - I like getting out of the house and like my job pretty well but wish I didn't have to do full time. Oh well!