Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone overcome a nursing strike? Please share your story.

Default Anyone overcome a nursing strike? Please share your story.

My son is 15.5 months and for the last 6 days has been refusing to BF. It happened suddenly and I have only been able to feed him about 3 times during this period while he was asleep. When he is awake he will either try to move away or attempts to bite me.

LO is teething and has a cold so I think this is the likely cause. I'm just not sure how to resume breastfeeding. I've been pumping to maintain my supply and doing skin to skin but no result yet.

I was really hoping to continue until he turned two. Please share any stories with positive outcome. Need some motivation.

Thank you.

Default Re: Anyone overcome a nursing strike? Please share your stor

I don't have any personal experience with nursing strikes, but I know a lot of women who have. Some babies go back to the breast, some don't- but you're giving yourself the absolute best shot at making it through this challenge by doing what you're doing. Just stay patient and do your best to keep it low-stress.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have had a few nursing strike experiences over the course of breastfeeding my 3 kids. For me, they were ALWAYS caused by colds and congestion - so your story is very familiar. My thoughts:

1. Keep something happy happening at the breast - make it playful to offer the breast, not a stressful thing if he refuses. Maybe just say "Maybe later!" in a cheerful way.
    2. Protect your milk supply (pump!)
    3. Take a bath together, and offer the breast in the bath. We had a lot of luck this way!
    4. Continue to offer at the times you have had success - surrounding sleep. Offer when he is very drowsy, while sleeping and while waking up. If he latches, give him lots of positive verbal feedback and attention.

My babies ALWAYS went back to the breast after nursing strikes and we went on to have long and happy breastfeeding relationships that ended gradually, peacefully, and with love.

HANG IN THERE!

Hugs to you.

We had a very long (5 mo) nursing strike. We got through it. LLL published my story if you want me to PM you the link. But I would work at getting her to nurse while she was asleep, during naps, middle of the night since we co-slept. Eventually, on her own time, she decided to nurse fully awake. We had many other problems with breastfeeding, low supply, not latching as a baby, posterior tongue tie, and it was a lot of work to work through all the problems but we stuck with it and by 12 mos things were pretty smooth. Then she went on to nurse till she was over 3 yrs old. Kellymom has a great article on nursing strikes, too. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank you Mommal, Jean and Krystine for replying! I really appreciate it!

It's reassuring to know that others have been through this and have overcome this hurdle.

My son still isn't wanting to breastfeed...not even whilst sleeping (we co-sleep). If he does allow me to bring him near the breast, he just tries to bite...I keep wondering if should stop trying or wait a bit longer? I am still pumping and will also implement the advice that has been given. :-)

Krystine - wow you are a committed person...5 months is a long time. I would love to hear your story - can you kindly PM the link?

Nic 123 gwt your baby to the doctor. In a child that old with a cold, it's likely an ear infection that is the culprit. Ear infection make it hard for a baby to get into the position they need to be in to nurse. And they usually resume when the ear infection is gone.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you Djs mom.

I took my son to see the doctor last week. He ruled out an ear infection.

LO still has a cold but it is getting better. I hope he will start feeding again once he has fully recovered.

Does he have SINUS INFECTION?? Because sometimes that weird face pressure also causes it to be difficult.

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah I agree if he has a cold it might just be hard for him to be in the position to nurse. Most babies resolve their strikes so much easier than my daughter did. I'll PM you my story anyway, though
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

DD2 had 4 nursing strikes between 9 and 18 mths. Each lasted about 14-16 days and she would go back to nursing. I pumped during each one and it worked. She is now 3 and still nursing for nap and bedtime, she dropped the morning session a couple months ago. She had all kinds of issues with FTT and eating so I just never gave up since we had so few ways to feed her. I just kept offering casually at the times of day that she would do it and she would suddenly just start again. I hope things work out for you!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.