Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning my 27 month old toddler - help

Default Weaning my 27 month old toddler - help

Hi, any advice for weaning a toddler? I am not sure how to as my son still wants to nurse often (4+ times per day). I am starting to feel very drained physically and emotionally and I am ready to stop nursing. I am also still getting up to nurse during the night often (2 times on average) to get him back to sleep. I can't function at work anymore. Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning my 27 month old toddler - help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*holly567 View Post
    Hi, any advice for weaning a toddler? I am not sure how to as my son still wants to nurse often (4+ times per day). I am starting to feel very drained physically and emotionally and I am ready to stop nursing. I am also still getting up to nurse during the night often (2 times on average) to get him back to sleep. I can't function at work anymore. Thanks!
    I don't have any advice on how to wean entirely because I'm still nursing my first who is just about the same age as yours. So I've never weaned anyone before. But I have had good success with her with limiting nursing though, especially over night. We loosely followed the Dr. Jay Gordon night weaning method (see: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html).

We put her down for the night in her own bed but the sleeping setup in our house allows her to get out of her bed in the middle of the night and get into bed with my husband and I on her own. That means that if she wakes and wants me, I don't have to get up to help her fall back asleep.

Finally, I've noticed that when I pay special attention to making sure she gets plenty to eat and drink during the day, she is less likely to wake in the night. I don't pressure her to eat anything she doesn't want to. However, I do let her eat as much as she wants at dinner, even if that is at odds my various other strategies for encouraging good manners or eating vegetables. For example, some moms will say dinner is over if they throw something on the floor. Or not offer a second serving of pasta until the veggies are eaten. I have abandoned those ideas for now and just serve a healthy dinner and let her have as much of whatever we're having as she'd like to eat. Even if it is a lot of pasta or a huge serving of fish or whatever. And I offer a healthy bedtime snack as well. The more she eats between about 4 pm and bedtime, the better she sleeps I find.

I actually appreciate that she's still willing to nurse upon waking in the morning because it means that when she wakes up, we can lie in bed and nurse for a few minutes which gives me a chance to snooze a little more and at least wake up slowly.

I'm not trying to discourage you from weaning at this point, just wanted to say what has worked for us in terms of making nursing a 2 year old mutually desirable. Or at least OK. Good luck!

Default Re: Weaning my 27 month old toddler - help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I don't have any advice on how to wean entirely because I'm still nursing my first who is just about the same age as yours. So I've never weaned anyone before. But I have had good success with her with limiting nursing though, especially over night. We loosely followed the Dr. Jay Gordon night weaning method (see: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html).

We put her down for the night in her own bed but the sleeping setup in our house allows her to get out of her bed in the middle of the night and get into bed with my husband and I on her own. That means that if she wakes and wants me, I don't have to get up to help her fall back asleep.

Finally, I've noticed that when I pay special attention to making sure she gets plenty to eat and drink during the day, she is less likely to wake in the night. I don't pressure her to eat anything she doesn't want to. However, I do let her eat as much as she wants at dinner, even if that is at odds my various other strategies for encouraging good manners or eating vegetables. For example, some moms will say dinner is over if they throw something on the floor. Or not offer a second serving of pasta until the veggies are eaten. I have abandoned those ideas for now and just serve a healthy dinner and let her have as much of whatever we're having as she'd like to eat. Even if it is a lot of pasta or a huge serving of fish or whatever. And I offer a healthy bedtime snack as well. The more she eats between about 4 pm and bedtime, the better she sleeps I find.

I actually appreciate that she's still willing to nurse upon waking in the morning because it means that when she wakes up, we can lie in bed and nurse for a few minutes which gives me a chance to snooze a little more and at least wake up slowly.

I'm not trying to discourage you from weaning at this point, just wanted to say what has worked for us in terms of making nursing a 2 year old mutually desirable. Or at least OK. Good luck!
    Thank you for posting this response, my daughter is 20 months old and I really like your night time arrangement and I think we are going to try it, too. I think all 3 of us (toddler, husband, and me) are ready to move on to a new sleeping arrangement so hearing about your setup has helped me come up with some new ideas! And I'm the same way, I don't really care if she just eats the pasta on her plate, and the few times I was worried she wouldn't eat the meat, etc, she did...she just likes to eat foods one at a time. Anyway, holly567, I am about where you are with the night nursing. I've figured out that my daughter has a really hard time sleeping next to me because she loves nursing so much. Last night I had my husband do the comforting and although she was initially very upset, she got over it within a few minutes and then she slept for the rest of the night without a peep. I was so surprised by that.
    and Mama to two little girls